Tabatha Coffey Picks Her Five Favorite Star Looks of 2012
We’ve enjoyed hearing Bravo star Tabatha Coffey’s take on star styles this year — and don’t worry, she’s coming back for more in 2013! But she recently took time out of her busy shooting schedule to critique the best in star style this year, and we have to say, she made some very solid picks. Read on to find out who earned top honors!
How can I sum up 2012? It was a very, very colorful year for fashion, to say the least. We saw vibrant shades of red, tangerine and yellow, and soft pastels like robin’s egg blue and dusty lilac. It was refreshing to see a broader spectrum this year since in past drab neutrals have made starlets and musicians appear washed out and aged beyond their years.
Hair consisted of unpretentiously styled updos, whimsical braids, topknots and classic old Hollywood-esque chignons. Makeup was clean and fresh; less smoky eyes, more natural and effortless. It was a year to control the overall look and not let the overall look control you. With that said, here are my five favorite red carpet looks for 2012:
1. Emma Stone. Undeniably my all-time favorite look for 2012; Emma looks absolutely ravishing in red at the Oscars. This is the epitome of old Hollywood glamour. The length, draping and striking color of this Giambattista Valli Haute Couture gown is perfection. Most importantly, her hair is styled exactly as it should be. When you have a collar like this, the hair needs to be up and off the shoulders. What you can’t see in this image is how beautiful the hair is pulled back into a twisted chignon. The accessories have the right amount of bling and I’m in love with this Louis Vuitton clutch.
2. Michelle Williams. I adore this Oscars look for several reasons. 1: Michelle‘s hair color and pixie cut are her namesake. She is a modern-day Twiggy and has the perfect complexion to accompany this hair color. 2: Her complexion also pairs well with the color of this Louis Vuitton gown. 3: The peplum detail and brooch at the waistline are an excellent amount of detail and just the right amount of whimsy. 4: Makeup is natural; cheeks rosy, lips striking. 5: Someone buy me that choker for my birthday next year. Thanks.
3. Octavia Spencer. Octavia, Octavia, Octavia, you are s-t-u-n-n-i-n-g! From head to toe, this is Oscars red carpet excellence. Love the deep part and classic styling of your hair and your perfectly lined and filled brows. What I love about this brow shape is how it really makes your eyes “pop” and shine. Your gown is breathtaking; beading is not exaggerated and the way it gathers at the center is quite becoming and flattering. You are a 10 in my book.
4. Heidi Klum. Aside from that horrendous ensemble seen at this year’s MTV EMAs, Heidi Klum is one ray of red carpet fashion sunshine I can usually count on seeing. This aqua frock of hers from the Emmys is divine. She looks like a goddess! Her hair is picture-perfect and wearing it down with this neckline is spot on. Accessories are simple, makeup is clean and fresh.
5. Tie: Ginnifer Goodwin & Padma Lakshmi. I like to call this the ‘Tangerine Tie for 2012.’ We all know that Pantone chose ‘Tangerine Tango’ as the color of the year for 2012, and it’s evident that celebs loved wearing it on the red carpet. I had a hard time choosing which lady wore it best at the Emmys so I’m calling it a tie — Ginnifer and Padma both looked stunning. They wore the color, the color didn’t wear them.
That’s all from Tabatha for 2012! Tell us: Do you agree with her picks? Who else deserved to be on the list?