The Five Items Alexa Chung Says You Need in Your Closet This Fall
“I normally shop from the catwalk,” Chung told PEOPLE at the opening of the new Foundry boutique in Los Angeles recently. “So I don’t usually notice trends.” But she definitely sets them! Here, the starlet — who’s set to release a fashion-focused book in 2013 — shares her five must-haves for fall:
1. A blanket. “You can wear it as a scarf or like a weird haggard old-lady cape,” she said. “Find ones that you can drape. But I’m not talking Woodstock. No towel-robes out there! Pendleton and Margaret Howell do good ones.”
2. Ankle boots. “I’ve got a pair from Church’s, a classic riding boot. They are actually men’s, but they make them small enough for women. Black is good, but I got a wine-colored velvet pair from Penelope Chilvers. I love them!”
3. A good coat. “I like vintage leopard-print fur. But not real fur. I think Wren does a really good one. And they actually do a lighter one because it’s an L.A.-based brand.”
4. A hat. “Marc Jacobs does a nice cashmere beanie,” she shared. “Or I just found this amazing brand at the Clic Gallery in New York called Tracy Watts. Really nice hats. I bought one in purple, which is really unlike me. But they are so classic that I think you can mess around with the color. And they have a really nice caramel-colored one with navy blue piping.”
5. A polka-dot button-down. “But you’re on your own [with brands],” she said. (Our suggestions: a sheer Kardashian Kollection top ($26.99), this colorful creation from Lands’ End Canvas ($60) and American Apparel’s front-tie blouse ($60).)
Tell us: Do you have any of Chung’s favorite items in your closet?