09/28/2006 at 10:17 AM ET

Last night’s episode eleven of Project Runway began with the designers selecting their models and being sent on to Nina Garcia‘s offices at Elle for their assignment. They each had to make a look that defines who they are as designers, along with picking three words to encapsulate it. Michael took his time deciding what to do, and Uli tore hers apart at the end of the first day. The designers then had to photograph their models in the outfits in a representative way to turn over to the judges. After naming Uli the winner for her short tie-dye dress, the judges decided that the other three contestants had enough promise that they should all show at Bryant Park. No one was eliminated, and there will be four finalists! Click through to the next page to read more and leave a comment.

Photo: Barbara Nitke/Bravo

I’m not really sure what the point of this episode was. It’s a challenge no one loses? I agree with the judges. Everyone was off their game: Michael, let’s talk about not imitating the bad Versace years. And Uli’s dress that won looked like every other dress she has made — just a few inches shorter. Highlight of the show for me was watching Jeffrey pretend to be a bull while wearing an evening gown. Oh yeah, and that Vincent wasn’t on it. The reunion should be fairly entertaining though.

Though it was good for them, it was very anticlimactic that all four designers got to go to Fashion Week. (An aside: I chuckled remembering when Melissa and I analyzed the Project Runway finalists’ runway shows and tried to figure out which finalist wasn’t a real finalist — little did we know!!). Jeffrey was arrogant as normal (dissecting all his fellow contestants’ strengths — likening Laura’s designs to mothballs and chicken soup???) and though Uli ultimately won the challenge, her dress was just a shorter version of what she normally designs. I, too, enjoyed Jeffrey in drag — one of the few moments when he’s let his guard down and stopped glooming and dooming.

I too was very disappointed with all the designs. I feel like we had either already seen them or they were just not that good. I really wanted to cry for Michael. He is such a good designer, but is not working with his strengths. Laura is just so boring to me. And well I could have picked Uli’s dress out in a second. While I did really like the bead work and slit in the front, it was so typical! I have to confess that I did like Jeffrey’s dress- did I think it represented him? No way! His couture dress, his travel outfit did- this definitely didn’t. Even though I didn’t want to see any of them go, I wish they would have just told us in the beginning that all four were going to Bryant Park.   It felt so unfulfilling.

Anne Marie and I did the same thing at the finalists’ show, going nuts trying to figure out who the decoy was! (On a historical note, it was TOTALLY obvious Austin was the fake finalist in season one—not only did I spy—gasp!–safety pins on his creations, he, drama queen that he was, acted like he was going to expire from shame. Season two’s Kara Janx, on the other hand, was so enthusiastic and happy just to show, I couldn’t tell she was the decoy.) Anyway, I’m glad that all four get to show…call me a softy, but I couldn’t stand seeing Michael’s eyes fill with tears when he thought he was getting the boot.
p.s. I hope they show Jeffrey’s baby momma on the finale!

I’m so jealous of those of you who have seen the collections! I can’t wait. Yes, this episode was a tad disappointing, but after just one week sans PR, I was thrilled to have it back. What are we going to do when it’s all over? I am seriously worried that my Tim Gunn withdrawal will be more than I can bare. On this episode, I think we finally got to see Uli shine. I do have a soft spot for her, but she has so much spunk. She really kicked it. And Jeffrey, for all his venom, is human underneath the neck tattoos. I too loved watching him parade around the work room like a three-year old playing superman. In the end, none of the designs wowed me. But, I agree with judges decision to let all four in. Why not?

Some of Tim Gunn’s Tim Gunniness seems to have gone missing. Was it Santino who brought it out in him? He feels a little off his normally sparkling game. I hope he gets it back on the home visits to the four finalists.

By the way, my husband, who has confused Salvatore Ferragamo with the guy who used to play the Incredible Hulk on TV, called it early in the show: He knew no one was going home.

Can’t wait for the reunion, either. Just that snippet made me wish they had kept Malan around a little longer. I hope to hear that his mama was proud of him.

Although there was nearly not enough Tim Gunn for me (what, was it finals week at Parsons?), this episode rocked. I was terrified that Michael was going to be sent home due to that poorly made dress (seriously, any woman wearing that is just begging for bronchitis), so I am glad all of the designers are in the running. It was nice to finally see Jeffrey show that he is a human underneath all that arrogance and swagger. And he needs to rein in that ego, based on the dress he showed this challenge. It looked like a slutty Snow White Halloween costume! Overall, all the designs were disappointing. I don’t really have a big problem with Uli’s designs all being similar. As a customer, I know if I want a certain look, I can go to her and she will deliver. I can’t wait to see what they show for their collections. I just hope Michael avoids eveningwear and sticks to sportswear. I would buy his casual clothing in a minute!

Click here to read all of the previous Project Runway posts.

Joy on

I’m glad all four of them will get to design for Fashion Week. They all have something to show us, and it will be interesting to see what they have. I too agree that I was a bit disappointed in their final designs. But, on their behalf, they did get several hours chopped off of their final work day – I think it was 5 hours. I’m sure it hindered all of them, but I especially recall Michael’s design. He had a lot more going into the design, that he didn’t get to develop into the dress.

Overall, I like Michael’s versatility. But, at the same time, I don’t have the problem that many seen to have with Laura and Uli’s designs repeating themselves. Someone else mentioned that many great designer’s are known for their “sameness” in style. It’s what identifies them – where’s the problem? Especially if it’s done so well.

So, good luck on the Runway, guys…….. And CONGRATULATIONS to all of you.

Jen Stone on

I was not impressed. Uli needed to go home. She does the same dresses over and over again. It doesn’t matter if it was a short dress this time…she is just plain boring!

khida on

YEA!! Michael should win. He is consistent, creative, and innovative, not to mention which even the judges have said repeatedly..he creates a complete look everytime. Besides talent, ehich is what matters most, he seems nice, genuine, & real!!!
Yea! Go Michael. If he doesn’t win….I don’t know what I’ll do but I won’t be happy.

R on

I feel that it was supposed to be Michael, Laura and Jeffrey in the final 3 the whole time but since all of them didn’t do good in the final episode except Uli they had to take Uli along too. I saw the collections a couple weeks ago and I feel as if Laura will win. Uli’s collection was ugh (all dresses and then like one pair of shorts), Jeffrey’s was way too over the place, and Michael’s was good even though for some reason he got very bad reviews. The only one that got good reviews was Laura.

Kim on

Did anyone else think that Uli’s dress looked very similiar to the dress Heidi wore when she brought back Vincent and Angela at the Revlon party?

ALICE on

I don’t understand why the judges think that Laura can design nothing except short cocktail dresses. If you check out all the episodes – here’s what she did. #1 – coat with fur collar. #2 – long dress. (with Michael, but her concept) #3 – tweed suit. #4 – pant suit (Angela’s design, but Laura and Michael’s good taste prevailed). #5 – trousers with sweater. #6 – short dress – first one! #7 – sailor ensemble for Jeffrey’s mother. #8 – cocktail dress – second one out of eight episodes – horrors! #9 – couture dress – stupid challenge – no one could have done it in that time frame. #10 and #11 – okay, short cocktail dresses, but still! Seven out of eleven challenges were not short and plunging. Am I a Laura fan? You bet! I think she and Michael should team up – both are fantastic and design for all ages. Uli is good if you live where it’s hot, Jeffrey is good if you want to dress like you think you’re hot stuff. GO LAURA AND MICHAEL! YOU TWO ARE THE BEST!

sarah on

i like jeffrey’s designs. jeffrey should win!

Rob on

I agree I dont understand all the moaning about outfits being similar for Uli and Laura (and Laura’s really arent the same you can just tell there her’s frankly by the tayloring and classic look to them all.) There are tons of designers out there that have a “signature” look. you can certainly tell a Versace time and time again or a Valentino. And no one is dogging those greats!

moi on

like it’s any of your business?!?! get a life.

Cassandra A on

Uli’s dress was her “Black and White” dress without the sleeves. Laura needs to not make another deep v-neck dress ever again. Michael needs to stick with what he knows best, and evening wear is not it. Jeffery should just get a clue. No fashion conscience female would be caught with that fugly dress in their closet more less in Central Park riding in a handsome cab.

Next | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Show All