StyleWatch Style News Now

Style News Now

09/28/2006 at 10:17 AM ET

Last night’s episode eleven of Project Runway began with the designers selecting their models and being sent on to Nina Garcia‘s offices at Elle for their assignment. They each had to make a look that defines who they are as designers, along with picking three words to encapsulate it. Michael took his time deciding what to do, and Uli tore hers apart at the end of the first day. The designers then had to photograph their models in the outfits in a representative way to turn over to the judges. After naming Uli the winner for her short tie-dye dress, the judges decided that the other three contestants had enough promise that they should all show at Bryant Park. No one was eliminated, and there will be four finalists! Click through to the next page to read more and leave a comment.

Photo: Barbara Nitke/Bravo

I’m not really sure what the point of this episode was. It’s a challenge no one loses? I agree with the judges. Everyone was off their game: Michael, let’s talk about not imitating the bad Versace years. And Uli’s dress that won looked like every other dress she has made — just a few inches shorter. Highlight of the show for me was watching Jeffrey pretend to be a bull while wearing an evening gown. Oh yeah, and that Vincent wasn’t on it. The reunion should be fairly entertaining though.

Though it was good for them, it was very anticlimactic that all four designers got to go to Fashion Week. (An aside: I chuckled remembering when Melissa and I analyzed the Project Runway finalists’ runway shows and tried to figure out which finalist wasn’t a real finalist — little did we know!!). Jeffrey was arrogant as normal (dissecting all his fellow contestants’ strengths — likening Laura’s designs to mothballs and chicken soup???) and though Uli ultimately won the challenge, her dress was just a shorter version of what she normally designs. I, too, enjoyed Jeffrey in drag — one of the few moments when he’s let his guard down and stopped glooming and dooming.

I too was very disappointed with all the designs. I feel like we had either already seen them or they were just not that good. I really wanted to cry for Michael. He is such a good designer, but is not working with his strengths. Laura is just so boring to me. And well I could have picked Uli’s dress out in a second. While I did really like the bead work and slit in the front, it was so typical! I have to confess that I did like Jeffrey’s dress- did I think it represented him? No way! His couture dress, his travel outfit did- this definitely didn’t. Even though I didn’t want to see any of them go, I wish they would have just told us in the beginning that all four were going to Bryant Park.   It felt so unfulfilling.

Anne Marie and I did the same thing at the finalists’ show, going nuts trying to figure out who the decoy was! (On a historical note, it was TOTALLY obvious Austin was the fake finalist in season one—not only did I spy—gasp!–safety pins on his creations, he, drama queen that he was, acted like he was going to expire from shame. Season two’s Kara Janx, on the other hand, was so enthusiastic and happy just to show, I couldn’t tell she was the decoy.) Anyway, I’m glad that all four get to show…call me a softy, but I couldn’t stand seeing Michael’s eyes fill with tears when he thought he was getting the boot.
p.s. I hope they show Jeffrey’s baby momma on the finale!

I’m so jealous of those of you who have seen the collections! I can’t wait. Yes, this episode was a tad disappointing, but after just one week sans PR, I was thrilled to have it back. What are we going to do when it’s all over? I am seriously worried that my Tim Gunn withdrawal will be more than I can bare. On this episode, I think we finally got to see Uli shine. I do have a soft spot for her, but she has so much spunk. She really kicked it. And Jeffrey, for all his venom, is human underneath the neck tattoos. I too loved watching him parade around the work room like a three-year old playing superman. In the end, none of the designs wowed me. But, I agree with judges decision to let all four in. Why not?

Some of Tim Gunn’s Tim Gunniness seems to have gone missing. Was it Santino who brought it out in him? He feels a little off his normally sparkling game. I hope he gets it back on the home visits to the four finalists.

By the way, my husband, who has confused Salvatore Ferragamo with the guy who used to play the Incredible Hulk on TV, called it early in the show: He knew no one was going home.

Can’t wait for the reunion, either. Just that snippet made me wish they had kept Malan around a little longer. I hope to hear that his mama was proud of him.

Although there was nearly not enough Tim Gunn for me (what, was it finals week at Parsons?), this episode rocked. I was terrified that Michael was going to be sent home due to that poorly made dress (seriously, any woman wearing that is just begging for bronchitis), so I am glad all of the designers are in the running. It was nice to finally see Jeffrey show that he is a human underneath all that arrogance and swagger. And he needs to rein in that ego, based on the dress he showed this challenge. It looked like a slutty Snow White Halloween costume! Overall, all the designs were disappointing. I don’t really have a big problem with Uli’s designs all being similar. As a customer, I know if I want a certain look, I can go to her and she will deliver. I can’t wait to see what they show for their collections. I just hope Michael avoids eveningwear and sticks to sportswear. I would buy his casual clothing in a minute!

Click here to read all of the previous Project Runway posts.

Your Reaction

On Newsstands Now

On Newsstands Now

Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Emma and Andrew: All About Hollywood's Cutest Couple
  • Prince George! More Yummy Photos

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine

Carrieann on

Re Uli’s “model poaching”, all’s fair in love and war, or, in this case, reality television.
As to all four being given a pass to show at Fashion Week, I’m thrilled. It means we see four designers’ shows, instead of three. The more, the better! Is there ever such a thing as fashion overload? I think not!

Kristen on

I, too, am aghast at the fact that Uli STOLE Nazri from Michael. I think she has a little bit of a conniving side to her. Her dress was beautiful, but had it not been for the advice of Tim Gunn, she would have dug her own grave with the judges. I’m almost certain that, had she stuck with her original dress, there would have been three people at Bryant Park. Laura’s dress was very pretty, but I agree with the judges that she is a one-dimensional designer. However, I do admire her very sophisticated taste. As far as Jeffrey is concerned, I thought his dress in the Editorial challenge was hideous. I think he is a good designer overall, but he’s also a world-class jerk. And Michael… oh Michael. I personally liked his eventing gown. I don’t know that I would wear it myself, because you really have to be well-endowed on top to wear it, but it was beautiful nonetheless. I WANT MICHAEL TO WIN!!!

Andrea on

I guess I’m in the minority but I don’t think it was all that wrong that Uli took Michael’s model. It’s the nature of the game. You have to look out for yourself to stay to the end. And while it may have affected Michael’s performance, so to speak, I don’t think Uli using Nazri was wholly responsible for his brain freeze. None of the four designs wowed me and all four designers have been very successful this season so I think it’s fair to give them all a shot at Olympus Fashion Week. I do have to say, though, that Laura’s designs look the same week after week, except for her couture gown which was just plain ugly. It should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Millie on

I loved the fact that all 4 of these designers get to go to Fashion Week and show their stuff on the runway… I was getting sick to my stomach just imagining that Michael might have been the one to go because no one liked his dress. I personally thought it fitted nicely, it just wasn’t wow for your personal touch type of competition. But I have to say, Michael is the nicest, human like, sincere, humble one of them all. I love him so much, can’t you see he always says congratulations to the winner of the challenges when they leave the runway, I mean what’s not to love. So I’m on Michaels team, I HOPE HE WINS!!! Plus, his designs are all beatifull and well matched with everything, I think he is the only complete designer here!!!

char on

i liked michael the best going into this week’s episode, but he completely disappointed me… the three words he wrote to represent his style were very elementary. he basically said that he wants to make slutty clothes! maybe he’s a little too young.

all four finalists can stand to explore themselves and their points of view a lot deeper. i want to see collections that reflect who the designers are, and i don’t want to believe these four designers are all one-dimensional.

Ashley on

I HATE Jeffrey with a passion. His attitude, his designs, and everything else about him. Laura is the same old thing time after time after time. Uli has great potential and I love the work that she does with all of the prints. People need to have color in their style. Michael is my fav. I hope he wins. Though the dress last night was horrible. He could have done much better than that. I will keep my fingers crossed until the next episode.

Mary on

Here’s an idea for the poster (Kristy) making the big deal about Laura’s drinks…get over it. A glass of wine or champagne every once in a while when a woman is pregnant is not considered dangerous to the baby. If you watch the show to judge a pregnant woman and possibly an outlandish comment about the future child, you’re watching for the wrong reason. Lots of women make silly remarks while they are pregnant. Get off your high horse.

Mare on

Michael seems to be the overall front runner in both personality and designer ability. That worries me. Wasn’t Daniel the front runner last year? He came up second in the finale.

Go Michael!

CD on

I figured it would be four, not three, when Heidi said on a promo, “We’re not committed this season to a final three.” I actually liked Uli’s modelnapping of Nazri–it showed spunk, and I had been worried she’d get auf’d for lack of it. Michael’s talented enough so that a swap shouldn’t hurt him, and I’m sure Nazri was thrilled to win. (Does anyone else get the sense that she’s a little interested in Michael?)

I know people love Laura, but flat chested girls wearing deep v-necks just look like trannies to me. Enough already.

I’m with everybody, why the judges could not see the uli’s dress was the same but short? so far Michael dresses have been differet every time , this one was different also, I think that I have seen Laura’s and Uli’s dresses in magazines before. I hope Michael wins, he hasn’t been boring. This show bring all my family together we all vote for Michael to win!

Next | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Show All