09/28/2006 at 10:17 AM ET

Last night’s episode eleven of Project Runway began with the designers selecting their models and being sent on to Nina Garcia‘s offices at Elle for their assignment. They each had to make a look that defines who they are as designers, along with picking three words to encapsulate it. Michael took his time deciding what to do, and Uli tore hers apart at the end of the first day. The designers then had to photograph their models in the outfits in a representative way to turn over to the judges. After naming Uli the winner for her short tie-dye dress, the judges decided that the other three contestants had enough promise that they should all show at Bryant Park. No one was eliminated, and there will be four finalists! Click through to the next page to read more and leave a comment.

Photo: Barbara Nitke/Bravo

I’m not really sure what the point of this episode was. It’s a challenge no one loses? I agree with the judges. Everyone was off their game: Michael, let’s talk about not imitating the bad Versace years. And Uli’s dress that won looked like every other dress she has made — just a few inches shorter. Highlight of the show for me was watching Jeffrey pretend to be a bull while wearing an evening gown. Oh yeah, and that Vincent wasn’t on it. The reunion should be fairly entertaining though.

Though it was good for them, it was very anticlimactic that all four designers got to go to Fashion Week. (An aside: I chuckled remembering when Melissa and I analyzed the Project Runway finalists’ runway shows and tried to figure out which finalist wasn’t a real finalist — little did we know!!). Jeffrey was arrogant as normal (dissecting all his fellow contestants’ strengths — likening Laura’s designs to mothballs and chicken soup???) and though Uli ultimately won the challenge, her dress was just a shorter version of what she normally designs. I, too, enjoyed Jeffrey in drag — one of the few moments when he’s let his guard down and stopped glooming and dooming.

I too was very disappointed with all the designs. I feel like we had either already seen them or they were just not that good. I really wanted to cry for Michael. He is such a good designer, but is not working with his strengths. Laura is just so boring to me. And well I could have picked Uli’s dress out in a second. While I did really like the bead work and slit in the front, it was so typical! I have to confess that I did like Jeffrey’s dress- did I think it represented him? No way! His couture dress, his travel outfit did- this definitely didn’t. Even though I didn’t want to see any of them go, I wish they would have just told us in the beginning that all four were going to Bryant Park.   It felt so unfulfilling.

Anne Marie and I did the same thing at the finalists’ show, going nuts trying to figure out who the decoy was! (On a historical note, it was TOTALLY obvious Austin was the fake finalist in season one—not only did I spy—gasp!–safety pins on his creations, he, drama queen that he was, acted like he was going to expire from shame. Season two’s Kara Janx, on the other hand, was so enthusiastic and happy just to show, I couldn’t tell she was the decoy.) Anyway, I’m glad that all four get to show…call me a softy, but I couldn’t stand seeing Michael’s eyes fill with tears when he thought he was getting the boot.
p.s. I hope they show Jeffrey’s baby momma on the finale!

I’m so jealous of those of you who have seen the collections! I can’t wait. Yes, this episode was a tad disappointing, but after just one week sans PR, I was thrilled to have it back. What are we going to do when it’s all over? I am seriously worried that my Tim Gunn withdrawal will be more than I can bare. On this episode, I think we finally got to see Uli shine. I do have a soft spot for her, but she has so much spunk. She really kicked it. And Jeffrey, for all his venom, is human underneath the neck tattoos. I too loved watching him parade around the work room like a three-year old playing superman. In the end, none of the designs wowed me. But, I agree with judges decision to let all four in. Why not?

Some of Tim Gunn’s Tim Gunniness seems to have gone missing. Was it Santino who brought it out in him? He feels a little off his normally sparkling game. I hope he gets it back on the home visits to the four finalists.

By the way, my husband, who has confused Salvatore Ferragamo with the guy who used to play the Incredible Hulk on TV, called it early in the show: He knew no one was going home.

Can’t wait for the reunion, either. Just that snippet made me wish they had kept Malan around a little longer. I hope to hear that his mama was proud of him.

Although there was nearly not enough Tim Gunn for me (what, was it finals week at Parsons?), this episode rocked. I was terrified that Michael was going to be sent home due to that poorly made dress (seriously, any woman wearing that is just begging for bronchitis), so I am glad all of the designers are in the running. It was nice to finally see Jeffrey show that he is a human underneath all that arrogance and swagger. And he needs to rein in that ego, based on the dress he showed this challenge. It looked like a slutty Snow White Halloween costume! Overall, all the designs were disappointing. I don’t really have a big problem with Uli’s designs all being similar. As a customer, I know if I want a certain look, I can go to her and she will deliver. I can’t wait to see what they show for their collections. I just hope Michael avoids eveningwear and sticks to sportswear. I would buy his casual clothing in a minute!

Click here to read all of the previous Project Runway posts.

Kristy on

This wasn’t in last nights episode, but has anyone else caught the glimpses of Laura drinking champaign while being pregnant? When they’ve had their mini parties shes been drinking out of flutes that look like everyone else’s and I could be wrong maybe they give her sparkling grape juice or something but it really gives me a very bad impression of who Laura is. Doesn’t help that she said something along the lines of just throwing the 6th kid on the pile of the others! Can any editors researc h this and see what’s been in her drink for us??

Virginia on

I THOUGHT MICHAEL’S DRESS WAS THE BEST AND, I DID NOT LIKE THE FACT THAT THEY ARE LETTING ALL FOUR OF THEM IN , JEFFREY HAS GOT TO GO , BUT IT’S ALREADY DONE, THE FOUR OF THEM ARE IN, JEFFREY IS JUST SO CRUEL AND I DON’T LIKE ANY OF HIS DESIGNS.

me on

Doesn’t anyone want to talk about the fact that ULI stole Michael’s model ??? Remember last year all the upset when they had the “walk off” .. she has been Michael’s model for so long .. no wonder he had brain freeze. He was stunned.
Go Michael. Good Bye Uli

laura on

i think the only reason uli is still in the competition because she is german and so is the judge. uli did not deserve it at all. she is soooo predictable. and the pregnant woman has to go also she is not trying anymore. she is stressed from carrying child. i don’t like jefferey and he has the worst personatlity. i pray micheal wins, he is the best.

Yeye on

I guess because Michael did not make a big deal about it, that’s why most people did not say anything about Uli stealing Nazri from Michael. His dress might have looked better on Nazri.

Angie on

I definitely think Michael deserves to win – his designs are all unique, and do not look like the same design he put out the week before. Michael’s designs look like professional work, not amateur. I haven’t seen one outfit by him that I wouldn’t wear. I absolutely LOVED Uli’s designs, until they continuosly look the same every week; let’s go with some changes! In the beginning of the show, Laura’s designs were great – it just seems like they’ve gone down hill since then; They should be getting better, not worse! I loved Jeffrey’s green dress a lot, but it’s about the only thing by him that I liked. I hope Michael wins!

Jennifer on

I just wanted to comment on the Laura concern. She stated in an interview somewhere that she doesn’t have a problem with an occassional drink while pregnant, but she was NOT drinking on the show. An alternative was provided for her and Jeffery (recovering alchoholic).

Elizabeth on

RE: Laura’s drinking while pregnant… Remembering that Jeffrey is a recovering alcoholic, I’m sure that the producers have offered sparking grape juice or something instead of champagne!

My heart goes out to Michael… such a bad time for brain freeze… I just love him!

I thought Michael’s was the best of the group, although it was not one of my favorite things that he has done. Maybe I am just getting too old. Uli should feel ashamed for taking Michael’s model and her dress ended up looking like something that should be on a Barbie doll. I can’t wait for the reunion show. Does anyone know the date??

dee on

I was miffed with Uli taking Nazri. It’s not only rude to the girl who had been her model (and responsible for win during the dog challenge) but also to Michael. At that point, the designers had been working with their models/muses for so long and taking Nazri understandably interfered with his creative process. Also, If Michael wins and I were Nazri, then I’d be ticked that I got snatched by Uli.

I liked that all four survived. I agree that they are all different and strong in their own right…

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Show All