StyleWatch Style News Now

Style News Now

09/07/2006 at 10:37 AM ET

Last night’s episode nine, Couture du Jour, of Project Runway kept the contestants in Paris to create a couture-style gown, focusing on hand sewing and detail with 20 hours to complete it. Vincent felt that he had the edge going in from previous training, and Michael was anxious about having never sewn anything by hand before. After some snipping at each other and some lovely shots of Paris, the contestants presented their gowns to Catherine Malandrino and Tim Gunn (left) aboard a riverboat in the Seine. They all flew home to NYC, where their gowns were shown to the usual panel and guest judge Richard Tyler. Jeffrey won his second competition in a row for his bright yellow plaid gown, while Vincent was sent home for his ill-fitting, ill-finished tapestry column. Click through to the next page to read more and leave a comment.

Photo: Virginia Sherwood/Bravo

I am so psyched that Vincent is gone!! I never have to hear him say that anything gets him off ever again. Thank the lord. That dress was a total monstrosity too. I really liked Uli’s dress best, and I don’t know why she didn’t take this one easily. Michael stumbled, but he’s still my favorite-at least he’s humble, unlike Jeffrey. And now, all I want out of life is to take a trip to Paris with Tim Gunn. Seriously, Tim, call me.

All I have to say is so long Vincent! I cannot believe he basically glued his dress together, how awful! Not to mention, Uli was right, the skirt did look like a sofa. I am so glad I never have to hear about anything else that gets him off, cringe. I actually liked Kayne’s dress even though I was thinking the whole time I would have worn that to my prom. I could however see it making a red-carpet debut on Vanessa Minnillo. Jeffrey’s wasn’t too bad I mean at least he hand-made almost everything and the color was great. Uli’s, as always, was beautiful and totally something I would want to wear if I could afford couture. I am not going to comment on Michael’s because I know he is better than that and Laura..well there isn’t anything to say.

Thank god Vincent’s gone! I thought Catherine Malandrino was seconds away from getting a restraining order when he cornered her on the boat to tell her how “spectacular” he thought she was. So skeevy! Otherwise, you are SO right about the Kayne-Vanessa Minillo connection: she’s totally his target customer! And wasn’t she Miss Teen USA at some point? The woman wears so much jewel-toned satin she’s like a refugee escaping from the Forever 21 warehouse. But I digress.

Forgive me, but I must gloat just a moment before I comment on the show: I met Tim Gunn tonight! He was a guest at PEOPLE party earlier for photographer Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, and I just couldn’t help myself, I had to say hello and gush just a bit. He was as delightful and charming in person as you’d expect.

Now, for the show: Did Vincent find one of Angela’s forgotten rosettes for the back of his gown? Eek! It was hideous. And I am with you on the creepy factor there. My skin crawled every time he said he was turned on or got off on something. Double eek! But Laura’s was such a monstrosity. I could barely look at it and not laugh. Quote of the night, came from Michael who admitted he was sweating more than a whore in church! I am really looking forward to seeing the collections at the finale. I’m betting that it’s Michael, Uli and Jeffrey and that it will be very tough to pick a winner!

Sayonara, Pinenut, we hardly knew ye.

Though one couldn’t reasonably expect Vincent to have a real shot at a fashion week runway, he did liven the place up. We’ll miss hearing what else turns him on.

Also, can I just say what a bust their first field trip was? As a Top Model devotee as well, I love when they jet off to Bangkok or Johannesburg and there’s Tyra, Nigel and Miss J just waiting for the contestants. Tim and a local guest judge? So low budget, Bravo. At least UPN -— sort of like Vincent -— had the courage to go all the way before going bust.

Vincent finally got off! (Although, I have a feeling his dismissal wasn’t what he’s been talking about for several challenges.) I have to say, I’m so happy he was the loser of the challenge, with that upholstery fabric and ill-placed rosette, which he’d obviously contracted from Angela. And nevermind the fact that he treated the entire project like a kindergarten project — he held the entire dress together with paste and glue! The winner was Jeffrey, and I kind of saw it coming when he picked out that bright fabric. I think he deserved to win — I could totally see that on the red carpet, worn by Chloe Sevigny or someone like her. But oh, poor Michael! He deserves at least some kind of credit for hand-sewing everything, and still making the dress look presentable even though he got pelted with eggs. Next week is the Olsen twins… Will Laura stick them in a clown collar? Can’t wait!

Your Reaction

On Newsstands Now

On Newsstands Now

Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Emma and Andrew: All About Hollywood's Cutest Couple
  • Prince George! More Yummy Photos

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine

Michele on

Just like every other reality show on television, Project Runway has producers, and those producers have an agenda. They are keeping Jeffrey on the show because he creates drama and drama brings attention to the show. Never mind the fact that Jeffrey is an egotistical, untalented jerk. I wouldn’t be caught dead in any of the outfits he has created. His latest dress looked like a picnic blanket being used as a toga. However, the judges are being told what to say and do by the producers…it’s the only explanation. There is no possible way Jeffrey’s dress should have won this week. There is nothing “real” about reality TV.

Leslie on

This is my first time posting :) This is the second season I’ve watched PR…I love it! First, I was really upset that Allison was “out.” I would have liked to see what else she would have done. I enjoy watching the designers that fly under the radar (ie., Chole, Allison, Uli and Michael). Vincent should have been out during the “Iconic” challenge. That dress was awful! “Twiggy is still alive, so let’s talk about her in the present tense” – the best quote) Anyway, Michael is my favorite and even though this dress didn’t “work” I still loved it, because he’s great. Laura isn’t this classy, well-dressed woman she pretends to be – she is always gossiping about the other designers. Besides, all that she has no range, she is always doing the same pieces each challenge. I did, however, love the high waisted pants with the bow. I think everyone has said all about Jeffrey that can be said. He has a grandeur complex and it’s out of control. Uli, has little diversity, too, but I would wear every single piece she puts on that runway. And, Tim, love him. When he got on the plane to Paris, I was so excited. Can’t wait for next week!

KayStar, it’s on Wednesday’s on BRAVO at 10. Starting at 7 or 8 you can catch up with the previous weeks.

Nancy C. Dawson on

I absolutely loved Laura’s dress ! I rally did think it was different because of the huge collar. I thought when Laura’s dress was presented on the runway ” That is the dress I would buy!” I didn’t think the cotton material ( I guess the frabic was cotton) that Jeffery used was suited for a cotilion dress. I would not miss this show for anything.

Linda Ross on

I cannot believe Jeffrey was the judges choice.Uli’s gown was the BEST one. Of course, I am pulling for Kane, since he is from my home state. I ready like Tim, but I think it’s time to replace Nina!!!!!!!!!

Mary on

Jeffrey is there because he is rude, not despite it. He also has some talent, though I hated his yellow dress. I like Michael the best, as his dresses are the most consistently well made and beautiful. I think the final three will be Laura, Michael and Jeffrey. Uli makes lovely dresses but they look alike.

I love this show but don’t think I will ever forgive it for the mama/sister show. The larger women were the last picked, the obviously least valued as “models”, the designers obviously had a hard time designing for these real women, and one was just plain treated horribly by Jeffrey. Would he have treated a thinner woman the same way? I doubt it. Would he have been kicked off the show for treating a thinner woman the same way? Hmmm… One wonders. Are thinner women more valued customers?

Either all the women should have been “larger” size or none of them should have been. The playing field, as it were, should have been fair… to the women. Fortunately, One designer did manage to make a larger size model look lovely (I forget which one… the lovely flowing multicolor piece) but they did not win… it was so much more than the usual dressing for us who aren’t size 6. (And I am not huge).

mimi on

do you guys understand the word couture???!?!
while uli’s dress was very pretty, it was not couture. couture is supposed to be something more than that. is winning project runway about being nice? does everyone have to be nice to be a good designer? stop hatting on jeffrey.

GO MICHAEL! on

I have to say when I saw that Vincent was about to get an Auf, I WAS SO EXTACTIC I ACTUALLY STARTED CLAPPING WILDLY! This wasn’t Michael’s week but i didn’t think the dress was atrocious LIKE JEFFS! God what an A-hole!!! it would have looked cute if there wasn’t so much stuff hanging from it or if there was no ugly patchwork! Uli’s was nice, but honestly it reminded me of something she did for Miss America! Laura’s looked like a mourning gown when the collar wasn’t up but otherwise it wasn’t too horrible.

GO PROJECT RUNWAY!

Rosalind Fowler on

I am soooooo glad that Vincent is fianlly gone. I think he is one of the weirdest people that I have ever encountered. He is so gross! Ilove Kayne! He is wonderful! I thought his dress was beautiful. I know he is a bit over the top, but hello has anyone ever been to or seen a famous designer runway show? The ones that are the most famous are the ones that are the most over the top. I am sure that if he was designing for a specific person then he would tone it down a bit as do all designers. Their runway shows are over the top and their real clothing lines are a toned down version. To me, he is one of the most brillant and if I were a celeb then I would want him to design my gown out of all of them. Jeffery is just to full of hisself and I thought that is gown was the one that was over the top and over done. As an aspiring stylist I would not have even spit on that dress must less put it on my body. The only thing it had going for it was the color. It looked like something a six-year-old took the scissors to and then decided to tie a bunch of ribbons to it to try and make it look better. Yuck! I thought that Michael was sincere and that he took I risk. His dress would have been beautiful if he had not been so rushed. He is very talented. Laura is just gross. I can’t believe that she would walk around with her dress slit to her ying-yang and on top of that she is pregnant! Noone wants to see that mess. I thought Michael Kors pegged it when he said that her dressed looked like a french maid custom. I forgot to make a comment on Vincent’s dress. It looked like a 1950′s bridesmaid’s dress. It was awful just like it’s designer. Last but not least, Uli, her dress was beautiful! I do think it looked a little like the one she designed for Miss USA or whatever pagent that girl was from. I do think that her dress was the most wearable. I like that she uses color in an unexpected way. My top 3 would be Kayne, Uli and Michael.

Susie Q on

What was wrong with Kayne’s dress. I thought it was lovely and the best fit of all. What was so bad about it? I really don’t know fashion, but it was eye-catching.

Susie Q on

I feel the judges are using different rules/guidelines for the different designers! Kanyne’s was “too busy” but what was Jeffreys? When the model walked you could see right up to her you know what!!! The same for two weeks before. First they gave marks for “exerting their mark on the mothers designs.” Then the next group it was “too much of the designers touch” Get the rules straight next time. Fair obviously doesn’t come into play here.

Next | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Show All