08/31/2006 at 10:15 AM ET

Last night’s episode eight of Project Runway gave the contestants the assignment of creating an outfit for an hip, international jet-setter- with the twist of them being the jetsetters! Kayne and Angela immediatelystruggled with the concept- Kayne equating jetsetters with Tara Reid and "Taradise" and Angela being from a rural farm in Ohio. Angela and Jeffrey  continued fighting over the last challenge, and Vincent decided to go pantless in the work room. After modeling their own garments, they were sent on a surprise trip to Paris. Guest judge Catherine Malandrino crowned Jeffrey’s rock-star ensemble the winner, and gave wide-eyed Angela the heave-ho. Click through to the next page to read more and leave a comment.

Photo: Barbara Nitke/bravo

Why was there so much nudity?? Vincent without pants? Kayne without a shirt? Cover it up, guys! Jeffrey is just being as nasty as possible (although the "macaroni-gluer" zinger was totally hilarious. Admit it. You laughed too.) Michael continues to be amazingly talented, and Kayne continues to be tacky yet totally loveable. Got to give props to Laura- besides Heidi, what pregnant woman can teeter around in 4 inch heels through an airport? Can’t say that I am sorry to see Angela and those damn rosettes go. I hate to say it, but I thought Jeffrey’s was by far the best- he made that on $75 bucks? Damn, boy. And next week, more Paris! I’m putting down my prediction for the top three now: Michael (obviously), Jeffrey, and Laura.

Totally agree with you on that one, Melissa: The sight of Kanyne’s man boobs and the thought of Vincent’s boys hanging free was way TMI. Otherwise, the challenge itself was a little blah…after sitting through the mom/sister models last week and then the contestants themselves lurching down the runway this week, I’m ready to let the professional catwalkers get back to doing their thing. Go Nazri!!

Okay, so Angela has been admittedly annoying for much of the show but I felt truly bad for her with Jeffrey  bashing her mom — which he continued to do this episode. Uh, Jeffrey, get over it, dude! Stop the sadist act. And how about Angela jetting all the way to Paris only for her to turn right around with her rosettes between her legs. That was just cruel.

As for the fashions — even though Jeffrey is on my crap list for his putrid attitude, I’ve got to say he pulled off an impressive outfit. It looked a heck of a lot more expensive than $75 (loved the faux leather jacket). And Laura — stunning, chic dress, looked beautiful on her and she worked those heels. Michael, keep those tight ensembles coming — you’re on your way to the Final 3 for sure.

And can’t wait for more Paris hijinx. Fingers crossed that Tim rocks a beret!

Anne Marie says:
In honor of the U.S. Open, here’s a McEnroe-ism: You can’t be serious! Guys going shirtless or standing in to-the-knee boxers hardly constitutes nudity. I’m half-expecting one of you to bust out with "There’s entirely too much tootie being exposed," school marm Anne Slowey-style. (Or maybe this is the years of covering sports in locker rooms and averting my eyes talking.) Anyway, I can’t be the only one who was hoping Vincent would finally embrace his Austin Powers’ even dorkier older brother alter ego and make a velvet leisure suit with ruffled tuxedo shirt, right? Also, I literally yelled, "Yay!" when Jeffrey won—by my lights, he had the recyclable project nailed, and I gave he and Allison the edge in the INC challenge—and clapped triumphantly at the TV when Angela got the big black clunky knee-high boot. I couldn’t stomach her excuse that she lives on a farm in Ohio so she couldn’t conjure up a jetsetter look. You’re trying to break into high fashion, for organic turnips’ sake!

Am I the only amazed at how much the judges dissed Uli? I thought her dress was stunning, the way it flowed down the runway.  What about Laura? Till now she’s been making the same deep-V dress week after week! And some how the Judges love her.  Uli’s dress was lovely, and I bet that Catharine M. thought so too. Last week her Mom-outfit was the most flattering by far. I don’t care what the outcome of this show is… She is the one designer that I would actually buy from. Uli — if you’re reading this get that e-commerce site up and running! Kara Janx, look out!

Dive under your desks, I’m about to name-drop: When Anne Marie and I had lunch with Tim Gunn (yes, we did) I asked him why Runway never leaves NY for Paris or elsewhere, as Top Model has always done. His answer was basically, "$$$."

Glad to see the Bravo folks have upped the budget to get out of the Parsons workroom, even if only to fly 9 hours to  . . . another Parsons workroom.  Loved when Tim appeared on the plane. Now lunch isn’t enough: I wish to kibbitz with him over the in-flight TV selections in first class over the Atlantic.

Also loved: Laura’s dress, and can’t believe she and her pregnant ankles flew in 4" heels. (Did you know she was 6′ tall? I learned this working on the PR story that appears in this week’s People) [LINK]

Loved that Vincent and his wrinkle-free monochrome still in (Yes, Pinenut, we agree that you are the twist.) Loved that Kayne is still in, though I believe he should burn that outfit, if it doesn’t combust on the flight home. (THAT was allowed on, and I can’t bring some freakin’ Purell???)

Fine, hasta la vista, Senorita Rosetta.

Annemarie says:
But going back to what Angela the Good said: Which designers would you actually buy from? For Season 1, it was hands-down Kara Saun. Season 2, Santino (I’m a sucker for McQueen) or Chloe (my Asian sister), though I’d consider Nick, Kara or Andrae. Season 3? Keith (honest to god, his tailoring was impeccable, and I don’t mind if my designer’s a lying cheating sob), Jeffrey or Kayne, as long as he’s concocting one of his fabulous gowns (loved the Marilyn and the Miss USA). What about y’all?

I agree totally. I thought Uli’s dress definitely met the challenge — make a dress for you, the jetsetter. Well, Uli is a jetsetter, and when she travels she goes to places where her dress was appropriate. I also loved Michael’s outfit. Is it just me, or did he look like Kanye West with those glasses on? Jeffrey’s rock star look definitely deserved to win, though. Tonight is the MTV Video Music Awards and he looks like he could easily fit in with the crowd, schmoozing with the stars. (Although, in his full get up,he looked like Dana Carvey when Dana would do his impression of Keith Richards on SNL.) But I digress… The main thing about last night’s episode that thrilled me was Angela. Is. Finally. Gone. YAY!! Once her rosette
affliction spread to her butt, there was no way the judges could keep her. Nevermind that the fabric was the worst-possible choice. Nevermind that shirt barely fit and her bra kept popping out. It was just the ugliest thing I’ve seen in ages.

Jeffrey needed to get over last week! It was so annoying! While I am not an Angela fan at all, I did feel bad or her. Here she was trying to work and all he kept doing was making her uncomfortable, with that said it was still no excuse for what she produced. Those rosettes were awful! And where was she jet-setting to? I felt bad she got all the way to Paris to leave, but I knew it was coming. It was all in Michael Kors’ face on the runway. I did love Uli’s dress. It was so her and looked so comfortable, I would definitely wear it on a vacation to somewhere warm- maybe not Paris. Michael is just amazing and Jeffery really surprised me. Even though he is evil, he really did an awesome job. It had the potential to lean towards Kayne’s tackiness, but he pulled it off. I liked Laura’s dress, but I doubt I would ever travel in that. And Robert needed some creativity- so boring. Can’t wait to see them all working in Paris, but who is Jeffrey going to fight with now?

Katie on

Well, first off, I was really happy to see Angela go. Finally! I don’t care what the judges said, I hated her Audrey Hepburn design. Besides it being black and a dress it didn’t look anything like something Audrey would’ve worn.
Second, Kayne I love you to death but that belt was just over the top even for you.
Jeffery is such a jerk and his style is butt ugly but I will say that it did travel well and it suited his personality.
Now Michael’s and Laura’s outfits were my favorites. These two just ooze class to me. Loved loved loved that Michael’s outift was all white and the pants were AMAZING! Laura’s dress was fabulous. It was beautifully made and I thought it flattered her. The only problem I had with it was the color. Not a flattering color on those who have pale skin.
So to finish I thought that Michael should’ve won.

Crystal A. Bennett on

First I want to say I love the show so CUDO’s all around. Second Angela should have been gone along time ago. She had no since of style and her execution was terrible. However, Jefferey should have never treated her mother the way he did last challenge. He was really rude and distasteful!! I hope Micheal or Uli (spelled wrong I’m sure) should win. They have fresh ideas and great attitudes. Can’t wait for the show next week!! By the way what was up with Kayne’s ELVIS outfit!!

Keli on

I agree that Uli was ridiculed needlessly. They, the designer, were to make up their jetsetter’s story, correct?
Her story was that she was jetting to places that this dress would be appropriate. OK, it may have lacked in creativity and looked a bit too much as she chooses to dress daily but that didn’t seem to be the judge’s complaint.
Someone earlier predicted the final three would be Michael, Jeffrey and Laura, I doubt anyone will disagree. Michael is my personal fave, Jeffrey is a talented designer but his inflated ego turns me off so much that I hate to see him succeed, Laura not because she belongs, because the judges have seemed partial to her all along. Her attitude annoys me no end. Yes, she can design some lovely, classic clothing but her personal sense of style rivals Kayne’s, it’s atrocious. Laura annoyed me at first but was beginning to win me over when she came to the defense of other designers. None of this will overcome my belief that she full well knew she was pregnant before the show commenced. She’s not ignorant of these things, she’s had plenty of experiance in preganacy and surely knew her condition before she began to show as she now has. This lie, omitting of truth or manipulation for attention’s sake, however you care to see it, should have disqualified her as did the cheat Keith’s actions. Surely there is something in the rules that would prevent a pregnant woman from endangering her unborn child with the stress and 24 hr days these contestants must endure.

donna on

i realize that tv reality shows need a villain and that jeffrey may currently fit that bill, but the show/game is only a few weeks long and then he gets the big heave ho back into real life. i fear for him once his role has come to an end, as none of us who works in fashion will ever want to have anything to do with him in the real world. fashion is a tough enough gig without egomaniacs and mannerless slobs like jeffrey weighing in. fern mallis, head of img/7th on sixth had it right last season when she told the designers the best piece of advice she could give was “never underestimate the importance of being nice.” sorry jeffrey……..you’re OUT!

mandy on

I just love watching project runway.I though Ulis dress was perfect for her, that is what the contest was about.Uli and the rest as jet setter designers.Micheal by far is my favorite, he comes thru each time,and if you ever watched Jeffreys face when Micheal is explaining his design, jeffrey has that pompass look as if he is the best designer.
I am very sure that he is afraid of Micheal and Lauras talent.Kayne may have looked like he was headed to graceland
,but he can make a beautiful stylish dress.As for angela thank god she is gone.As for Jeffrey, he could of done much better when he was designing for angelas mom.It looked like a giant garbage bag with a collar, he should of been voted off.As for vincent he is just kooky, which is good entertainment.Finall three:Micheal, Laura, Kayne

Julie on

Angela was the wildcard. She made a great outfit for the INC challenge but her outfit for the dog challenge was so ugly. Jeffery did an amazing job. It was totally him and it looked like something an A-lister would wear to like the VMA’s or Grammey’s. Laura’s dress is beautiful. It was a great outfit especially since they were going to Paris and it kind of had a European flair to it with the fabric. Did Vincent just take one of his own outifts on the runway? It looked just like something he would wear. It wasn’t even that good. Michael did a great job with his Hamptons look. He could get into Diddy’s white party wearing that. Kayne, remember, less is more. It was very well made though, but I live in a small suburban town and I couldn’t see anyone wearing that to travel. I could see people actually wearing Angela’s though. (Angela if you read this wear your hair straight more often, it looks nice) I couldn’t see them wearing Jeffery’s. I could see people wearing Michael’s and Vincents. I couldn’t see them wearing Laura’s or Kayne’s. I could see Kayne wearing his though.

Dhaniah on

I have to agree with Leasa. When I heard about Jia, Vincent’s model was in the final, I got a feeling that maybe Vincent’s in the top 3. And for the past 2-3 episodes, there were a few footages of Vincent saying that he’d make it to the top 3 (*subtle hints maybe). But hey, that’s just me.

beauty on

I did liked more Michael and not Jeffrey but hey they are the judges but if I were the judge I would choose Michael love those pants well, everything about him was good.

Carle on

ULI is phenomenal. She adores prints – – I can see her clothes at high-end stores… who else is known for her prints ? Dianne Von Furstenburg and ????
ULI has a Uniqueness. I like Michael as well. Laura is purely chick and classic. She would be a wonderful designer for Talbots.
So, those are my 2 cents for the final 3.

(Jeffrey ? hmmm, attitude and not always on track)

Tippybird on

Too bad Jeffrey is shooting his mouth off so much. He has such an angry, hateful personality. In this business, you have to work with others . . . especially when you’re starting out. His ego is his biggest enemy!

Next | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Show All