08/31/2006 at 10:15 AM ET

Last night’s episode eight of Project Runway gave the contestants the assignment of creating an outfit for an hip, international jet-setter- with the twist of them being the jetsetters! Kayne and Angela immediatelystruggled with the concept- Kayne equating jetsetters with Tara Reid and "Taradise" and Angela being from a rural farm in Ohio. Angela and Jeffrey  continued fighting over the last challenge, and Vincent decided to go pantless in the work room. After modeling their own garments, they were sent on a surprise trip to Paris. Guest judge Catherine Malandrino crowned Jeffrey’s rock-star ensemble the winner, and gave wide-eyed Angela the heave-ho. Click through to the next page to read more and leave a comment.

Photo: Barbara Nitke/bravo

Why was there so much nudity?? Vincent without pants? Kayne without a shirt? Cover it up, guys! Jeffrey is just being as nasty as possible (although the "macaroni-gluer" zinger was totally hilarious. Admit it. You laughed too.) Michael continues to be amazingly talented, and Kayne continues to be tacky yet totally loveable. Got to give props to Laura- besides Heidi, what pregnant woman can teeter around in 4 inch heels through an airport? Can’t say that I am sorry to see Angela and those damn rosettes go. I hate to say it, but I thought Jeffrey’s was by far the best- he made that on $75 bucks? Damn, boy. And next week, more Paris! I’m putting down my prediction for the top three now: Michael (obviously), Jeffrey, and Laura.

Totally agree with you on that one, Melissa: The sight of Kanyne’s man boobs and the thought of Vincent’s boys hanging free was way TMI. Otherwise, the challenge itself was a little blah…after sitting through the mom/sister models last week and then the contestants themselves lurching down the runway this week, I’m ready to let the professional catwalkers get back to doing their thing. Go Nazri!!

Okay, so Angela has been admittedly annoying for much of the show but I felt truly bad for her with Jeffrey  bashing her mom — which he continued to do this episode. Uh, Jeffrey, get over it, dude! Stop the sadist act. And how about Angela jetting all the way to Paris only for her to turn right around with her rosettes between her legs. That was just cruel.

As for the fashions — even though Jeffrey is on my crap list for his putrid attitude, I’ve got to say he pulled off an impressive outfit. It looked a heck of a lot more expensive than $75 (loved the faux leather jacket). And Laura — stunning, chic dress, looked beautiful on her and she worked those heels. Michael, keep those tight ensembles coming — you’re on your way to the Final 3 for sure.

And can’t wait for more Paris hijinx. Fingers crossed that Tim rocks a beret!

Anne Marie says:
In honor of the U.S. Open, here’s a McEnroe-ism: You can’t be serious! Guys going shirtless or standing in to-the-knee boxers hardly constitutes nudity. I’m half-expecting one of you to bust out with "There’s entirely too much tootie being exposed," school marm Anne Slowey-style. (Or maybe this is the years of covering sports in locker rooms and averting my eyes talking.) Anyway, I can’t be the only one who was hoping Vincent would finally embrace his Austin Powers’ even dorkier older brother alter ego and make a velvet leisure suit with ruffled tuxedo shirt, right? Also, I literally yelled, "Yay!" when Jeffrey won—by my lights, he had the recyclable project nailed, and I gave he and Allison the edge in the INC challenge—and clapped triumphantly at the TV when Angela got the big black clunky knee-high boot. I couldn’t stomach her excuse that she lives on a farm in Ohio so she couldn’t conjure up a jetsetter look. You’re trying to break into high fashion, for organic turnips’ sake!

Am I the only amazed at how much the judges dissed Uli? I thought her dress was stunning, the way it flowed down the runway.  What about Laura? Till now she’s been making the same deep-V dress week after week! And some how the Judges love her.  Uli’s dress was lovely, and I bet that Catharine M. thought so too. Last week her Mom-outfit was the most flattering by far. I don’t care what the outcome of this show is… She is the one designer that I would actually buy from. Uli — if you’re reading this get that e-commerce site up and running! Kara Janx, look out!

Dive under your desks, I’m about to name-drop: When Anne Marie and I had lunch with Tim Gunn (yes, we did) I asked him why Runway never leaves NY for Paris or elsewhere, as Top Model has always done. His answer was basically, "$$$."

Glad to see the Bravo folks have upped the budget to get out of the Parsons workroom, even if only to fly 9 hours to  . . . another Parsons workroom.  Loved when Tim appeared on the plane. Now lunch isn’t enough: I wish to kibbitz with him over the in-flight TV selections in first class over the Atlantic.

Also loved: Laura’s dress, and can’t believe she and her pregnant ankles flew in 4" heels. (Did you know she was 6′ tall? I learned this working on the PR story that appears in this week’s People) [LINK]

Loved that Vincent and his wrinkle-free monochrome still in (Yes, Pinenut, we agree that you are the twist.) Loved that Kayne is still in, though I believe he should burn that outfit, if it doesn’t combust on the flight home. (THAT was allowed on, and I can’t bring some freakin’ Purell???)

Fine, hasta la vista, Senorita Rosetta.

Annemarie says:
But going back to what Angela the Good said: Which designers would you actually buy from? For Season 1, it was hands-down Kara Saun. Season 2, Santino (I’m a sucker for McQueen) or Chloe (my Asian sister), though I’d consider Nick, Kara or Andrae. Season 3? Keith (honest to god, his tailoring was impeccable, and I don’t mind if my designer’s a lying cheating sob), Jeffrey or Kayne, as long as he’s concocting one of his fabulous gowns (loved the Marilyn and the Miss USA). What about y’all?

I agree totally. I thought Uli’s dress definitely met the challenge — make a dress for you, the jetsetter. Well, Uli is a jetsetter, and when she travels she goes to places where her dress was appropriate. I also loved Michael’s outfit. Is it just me, or did he look like Kanye West with those glasses on? Jeffrey’s rock star look definitely deserved to win, though. Tonight is the MTV Video Music Awards and he looks like he could easily fit in with the crowd, schmoozing with the stars. (Although, in his full get up,he looked like Dana Carvey when Dana would do his impression of Keith Richards on SNL.) But I digress… The main thing about last night’s episode that thrilled me was Angela. Is. Finally. Gone. YAY!! Once her rosette
affliction spread to her butt, there was no way the judges could keep her. Nevermind that the fabric was the worst-possible choice. Nevermind that shirt barely fit and her bra kept popping out. It was just the ugliest thing I’ve seen in ages.

Jeffrey needed to get over last week! It was so annoying! While I am not an Angela fan at all, I did feel bad or her. Here she was trying to work and all he kept doing was making her uncomfortable, with that said it was still no excuse for what she produced. Those rosettes were awful! And where was she jet-setting to? I felt bad she got all the way to Paris to leave, but I knew it was coming. It was all in Michael Kors’ face on the runway. I did love Uli’s dress. It was so her and looked so comfortable, I would definitely wear it on a vacation to somewhere warm- maybe not Paris. Michael is just amazing and Jeffery really surprised me. Even though he is evil, he really did an awesome job. It had the potential to lean towards Kayne’s tackiness, but he pulled it off. I liked Laura’s dress, but I doubt I would ever travel in that. And Robert needed some creativity- so boring. Can’t wait to see them all working in Paris, but who is Jeffrey going to fight with now?

Melissa on

Thank goodness Angela’s gone! She was all excited about the challenge just to completely bomb it. Jeffrey was being an ass, but hey, he was psyching Angela out which appeared to work. I think his outfit was hot and looked amazing. I agree with you all, I could have done without seeing Kayne’s man boobs and Vincent in his boxers. Hopefully he’s next to go, he makes the funkiest clothes. Michael continues to impress me, Uli’s was pretty but I agree with the judges that it didn’t look too ‘jetsetter’. So congrats to Jeffrey and good bye to Angela… have fun in Ohio with your rosettes!

Kelly on

I honestly liked Jeffrey’s outfit this week (from a former Goth/Punk rock kid). I would have made many a boyfriend wear that outfit. Very well done, although, I didn’t like the decals that were like a fancy cameltoe. :-/
I’m glad Angela is out.
I disliked Laura’s dress only because she made the same darned dress for every single freakin challenge! I don’t agree with the fact that they ragged on Uli for being a repeat and let Laura go. That bothered me.
Kayne…did look like Elvis. He’s my favorite person, but not my favorite designer. Unfortunatly, I have a feeling Kayne may be the next to go and I’ll sob into my over the top, poofy, sparkled beauty queen dresses…

Andrea on

did anyone else think that the judges were overly tough on Kayne. they did say to design something for themselves. so it is not their taste and it was over the top – it was for him not them. they said that the pants were great. can you tell i like him…
also why is everyone acting like just because laura is pregnant it is some amazing feat that she is able to work. i know MANY people that continue to work up until the day they deliver and look great also (some even carrying twins – me). can you tell i dont like laura.

Sophie on

First of all, just let me say this- while I’m glad Angela is gone because she’s a terrible designer, she was hilarious and added humor to the show. This sound mean, but it was fun to laugh at her!

Jeffrey actually did a good job! I was impressed with his his outfit, but everyone else made every piece of theirs. Did you see his rhinestone-encrusted shirt? How could he have made that? Also, those pants were WAY too tight for my liking- and he had that weird silver line down the crotch!But Michael made the best outfit…he deserved to win! Michael just blows my mind every episode, starting with ‘Road to the Runway.’ I knew he’d go far.

Okay, I am super upset that Laura has gotten so much praise every week for having THE SAME DESIGN in every outfit. Even when it’s not a dress…the Katherine Hepburn suit or the dog challenge outfit…all have the exact same high waist! I understand if that’s her ‘thing’ but COME ON. You need to stop making high-waisted skirts and pants that give you wedgies and make your butt look big and get in the real world, now Laura. And is anyone concerned with how thin she is? Everytime I see her, her breastplate is sticking out so far it could hit her in the face.

ULI! I love Uli. They criticized her for making a familiar dress, but it was gorgeous and beautifully made! They didn’t even comment on the amazing back! If they criticize her for using the same designs, Laura’s red hair is blinding them from seeing any of her outfits.

Kayne did look Elvis-y, but that’s Kayne for you. It seems like he’s either amazing or terrible. But this week he created something he would LOVE- and maybe the judge’s couldn’t take the full Kayne-ness on.

I love Project Runway.

Carmen on

I JUST LOVE MICHAEL!!! He is a great designer and I just love him. His design was great, I loved the top, but I think it was about time for Jeffrey to win one because he def had the trash challenge in the bag and they screwed him over. His outfit was hot, but the pants were tight!

Plus, I was so excited when Angela was kicked off because I can’t stand her and those stupid flower things she keeps putting her designs! The way those pants made her butt look were terrible too!!! I was glad to see her go!

Courtney on

I just LOVE Project Runway. They keep it interesting without compromising the integrity of the show – though I am still a bit mystified as to how Vincent has made it so far (and Alison didn’t – but I know we’ve discussed that to death). Anyway, yes, Jeffrey’s look was true to him and I suppose very rocker chic. But I loved Laura’s dress. I was more flirty than her usual structured garments and still well made. She doesn’t look pregnant either. I do wish she would have mixed up the hair and makeup. They gave her a more polished version of the red lips and pink cheeks we’ve seen for how many episodes. Look Michael and Uli too. Can’t wait for next week.

Beth on

I agree with Melissa when she writes that the final three will be Michael, Jeffrey, and Laura. I was amazed that Jeffrey created that look with only $75! I loved Michael’s look, as well, and felt that he did a great job creating an urban Hampton’s look. As a person, I like Michael so much more, but Jeffrey definitely turned it out for this challenge and designed “more for the money.” I find myself horrified by how cruel he is at times but then I also find myself laughing at some of his comments. Aside from that monstrosity of a dress that he made for the mother challenge, I think he is quite talented and LOVED the dress he made with the recyled products. Laura continues to create classic, clean designs. I think she is a brilliant seamstres but I would like to see her do something different, maybe designs that aren’t quite so safe. I don’t feel like she’s upping her game each week. I fear that Kayne will be “outed” soon. Sophie was right when she wrote that he either designs something terrible or fantastic. I wasn’t excited by his design but agree that it definitely fit his personatliy. Plus, he just has such a nice personality and is one of my favorites. I thought Uli’s dress was beautiful and did like Vincent’s monochromatic look; I think he looked sharp. Maybe I liked that look because that style is how my husband tends to dress. I can’t decide how I feel about Vincent. I like how he thinks outside the box and admire the way he stands behind his designs but I can’t say that I am in love with his designs. He definitely lives in his own world. I think that the way he designs outside the box could be a huge asset-many designers possess this quality. However, I don’t think he knows how to translate this to fabric yet. Maybe it’ll come in time; who knows. I am happy that Angela is gone, as I never quite “got” her. I don’t even know what to say about her design other then I thought it was ridiculous. Right now my favorite is Michael; I think he is creative, fresh, and seems to always grasp the nature of the challenge. Even if he doesn’t win, that boy is going places.

Bre on

I really liked Uli’s and Laura’s designs. I could see both in my closet. They criticized Uli for making her dress only appropriate for Miami and other laid-back beach settings but then praised Jeffery’s when his couldn’t translate to those places. I did like his jacket as well as his concept though. However, I think Michael should have won the challenge over all; Jeffery’s pants were a crime against fashion. Michael, on the other hand, demurely rocked it out in seersucker.

Tray on

I thought Michael’s outfit best exemplified a jet-setter. I absolutely hated Jeffrey’s outfit and did not understand how he wound up the winner. Oh well! Different strokes… Michael is definitely my favorite designer on the show. He is just solid and outshines everyone else. I love the show and can’t wait until the next new episode.

Brenda on

Can’t say I was sad to see Angela go — and that outfit was the worst EVER! Still, it seems awfully mean to fly someone to Paris just to send them back the next day. (Do you think they at least let her stay overnight to munch on a croissant or something?) In any case, I agree with Melissa that Michael, Laura, and Jeffrey will be the final three, only Jeffrey is so objectionable whereas Kayne is so appealing. Damn . . . though suspense is what makes Project Runway addictive.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Show All