08/24/2006 at 10:40 AM ET

Last night’s episode six of Project Runway gave the designers a very personal challenge: to create a fashion-forward look for the everyday woman– with their mothers and sisters as the models! The twist was that no one could select their own family member to design for, and some of the designers ended up with their not-so favorite contestant’s mom. The sparks flew between Jeffrey and Angela‘s mother, and tears were shed by many. Michael and Uli once again shone, but Vincent ended up being the surprise winner. Angela and Jeffrey barely stayed in, while Robert was voted out for being continually boring. Click through to the next page to read more and leave a comment.

Photo: Courtesy of Bravo

I almost had to get a box of kleenex to watch this episode! Everyone was bawling every 2 seconds. There were so many shockers on this one- it was like watching a soap opera! Laura is pregnant with her 6th child and broke it to her mother in front of Michael Kors and his mother Joan! Jeffrey was so sweet to his mother, who clearly adores him, and was so unbelievably nasty for poor Angela’s mom. I am sad to see Robert go, as apparently was the rest of the cast (more tears), but I have to say, I would have been flummoxed if I had gotten the largest woman in the group too. Waaaaaah. I hope next week’s episode is more of an upper.

On the brighter side, I can’t believe how good: a. Uli’s mom looks. Damn,girl. Uli should be psyched about how well she is going to age b. how much I liked Vincent’s dress. I was so sure he was going to lose this week.

Being forced to think outside of size 0, 5’11" supermodel box seemed a challenge to the designers, who were asked to make everyday clothes for their fellow contestants moms and sisters. Poor Robert was sent home for his lack of creativity. Though I really  like him, I have to agree with the decision. It did seem like he just cut a few holes in a sheet of fabric. Uli really worked with the "everyday" woman though and went for the pattern making her plus-size model look totally chic- one of my favorite looks.
Jeffery came close to getting the boot and the way he talked to Angela’s mom really had me hoping it was his turn to go. In the end I didn’t think his outfit was THAT bad, but the customer is always right.

This might just be my favorite PR episode EVER. I mean this challenge  is really a wake-up call like no other: These are the women of America. Dress them! And there’s was so much personal baggage floating around the room, it really showed everyone’s true colors. On that note: Well done Vincent! Even though he has seemed like psycho on past occasions, he was mature and professional and amazingly positive. Yes, he had the GORGEOUS Mrs. Uli Mom’s as a model, but he did a great job. I personally think Uli’s outfit for Kayne’s mom was just a little bit more interesting. It was so flattering and perfect for her coloring and size. It was perfect.

Jeffrey.. well, what can we say about Jeffrey. I want to like him, because he the rebel-underdog, but he’s such a whiney, spoiled brat, he makes it impossible. Angela is still a twit with bad taste. It will be fun to see their next showdown.

I was never a fan of Robert or his work. I found myself missing Alison throughout the episode. Wouldn’t you have loved to see her mom? Or Malan’s? Poor Malan. I still pine for him.

Jeffrey was so horrible to Angela’s mom and his mom said absolutely nothing to him about his behavior. Is it that she was afraid if she scolded him for the disgusting way that he treated her that he’d fall off the wagon or go back to being a junkie? I wanted to punch him in his tattooed neck!

At least the rest of the episode was heartwarming (A Very Special Project Runway…). How much did you love Uli’s mom? Despite their language barrier, her interaction with Vincent was adorable. And props to Vincent for actually creating a stylish dress that didn’t look like it came from the Twilight
Zone. I loved the outfit that Uli created for Kayne’s mom (how funny was she saying she was going to work it on the runway and embarrass Kayne??) and Michael, as usual, came up with a fierce design.

A final thought: Is anyone wondering how in the heck Laura manages to look as impeccably styled and svelte as she does with five kids and now another on the way? What’s up with that??

Change is good. Jeffrey is bad. How can anyone be so mean to someone else’s mother? Why doesn’t he just kick a few puppies and steal preschoolers’ lunch money while he’s at it? All I know is that if he ever pulled that crap on MY mom, the authorities would need that stupid neck tattoo to ID his cold, lifeless body.

So many thoughts, so little order:
1. Jeffrey should have gone home, and not because he made whiny Mama Angela cry. Yes, Robert was boring but his client was happy (wasn’t that the challenge?) and the outfit didn’t make you want to point and laugh, as Jeffrey’s did.

2. Loved Joan Kors, though when she spoke she reminded me of Kathleen Turner playing Chandler’s drag queen father on "Friends."

3. Why didn’t we get Heidi’s mater? Nina’s mami? Tim’s mom? Was so hoping for that.

4. Did anyone else rewind the lesbian kiss in the Orbitz.com commercial? We did. (Remember, I watch PR with my husband…) Way hotter than the bitchslap in the "Workout" finale promo.

5. Six children? That’s nothing for a woman who stands all day and most of the night sewing in heels while pregnant and poured into a form-fitting pencil shirt. Go Laura! Your clothes are a little dull, but we who went through pregnancy in nothing but yoga pants, tunics and backless sneakers salute you.

6.  Finally, YAY PINENUT! We’re so happy to see Weird Vincent win a challenge. Even my husband, who takes the words "wash and wear" and "one size fits all" at face falue, could see that Vincent was the clear winner.

p.s. since i was on vacation last week, a moment of silence for Zayra getting booted off Rockstar. The stage clothes are far, far less interesting without her.

Captain Cranky strikes again! Of course, I’m talking about Jeffrey. The way he treated Angela’s mom was absolutely inexcusable. And that weird patchwork dress was just another insult. When this season first started, I thought Travis Barker — er, Jeffrey– would be someone to root for, but nothing he’s designed has been that impressive. The more his fashions disappoint on the runway, the meaner and snottier he gets behind the scenes. Laura apparently learned from her near wardrobe malfunction from the last episode and kept her girls restrained in a turtleneck. Too bad she didn’t restrain her mouth — I can’t believe she let it fly that she’s pregnant! But the biggest surprise in this episode had to be Robert’s dismissal. Kayne must be crying into his pageant programs. Granted, I was worried it was coming if Robertdidn’t throw some Santino-like touches onto his designs, but for some reason the judges decided to keep Jeffrey’s dress (apparently made of funeral bunting) to get rid of Robert’s basic, if uninspired, outfit. Oh well. I wish he had ripped the fringe off of Angela’s goofy dress and used it to spice up his getup. After all, it just made her outfit look like a lampshade in a brothel, not something the every day woman would wear!

Amanda on

On the contrary, I had a big problem with this challenge. In theory, to design for the everyday women was a great idea. However, the challenge was to make the everyday woman feel comfortable and accentuate her body. The judges seem to have forgotten there was NOT a level playing field and awarded the best design to the person who had an EXTREME advantage of having a thin, blond model. What was the challenge in that?? Jeffrey should have been out, not Robert, who was merely trying to please his client, SUPPOSEDLY one of the purposes of the challenge. I am becoming increasingly annoyed with the judging of this show. It seems as though they pick who they “love” and “hate” and then bend the requirements to affect the outcome to their liking. Shape up, bravo! This show is about the design process, not drama.

kim on

I agree with Amanda, it didn’t seem fair that some of the models I’m sure have trouble dressing themselves. Micheals dress was great but that girl looked like any of the normal models. Which could be a representation of the everyday women, but the pool of which to choose from was wildly varied. Jeffrey’s outfit was garbage, I think they kept him because he’s so edgey, better for ratings.

diane on

Ulis’ was the winner. Roberts, was good, she asked for red and black and she is heavy people!!! I was not surprised at all the slender models got picked first. Kaynes’ looked bad. Vincents’ was acceptable but WHY IS HE STILL THERE? Lauras’ was bad. Jeffreys’ was HORRIBLE and he acted the same. I am a plus size so I have a different take. I found the entire show hillarious. These designers did not know what to do with the large models. Wake up… the average woman is not a size 0 and a Heidi Klum lookalike. I think it should win an Emmy on this episode for its comedy factor. I am not laughing at the models I am laughing with them.

Hardcore sexy on

jeffrey is soooo coool i dont care what he did he deserves to win the show. i hate angela no offense.

Next | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Show All