08/24/2006 at 10:40 AM ET

Last night’s episode six of Project Runway gave the designers a very personal challenge: to create a fashion-forward look for the everyday woman– with their mothers and sisters as the models! The twist was that no one could select their own family member to design for, and some of the designers ended up with their not-so favorite contestant’s mom. The sparks flew between Jeffrey and Angela‘s mother, and tears were shed by many. Michael and Uli once again shone, but Vincent ended up being the surprise winner. Angela and Jeffrey barely stayed in, while Robert was voted out for being continually boring. Click through to the next page to read more and leave a comment.

Photo: Courtesy of Bravo

I almost had to get a box of kleenex to watch this episode! Everyone was bawling every 2 seconds. There were so many shockers on this one- it was like watching a soap opera! Laura is pregnant with her 6th child and broke it to her mother in front of Michael Kors and his mother Joan! Jeffrey was so sweet to his mother, who clearly adores him, and was so unbelievably nasty for poor Angela’s mom. I am sad to see Robert go, as apparently was the rest of the cast (more tears), but I have to say, I would have been flummoxed if I had gotten the largest woman in the group too. Waaaaaah. I hope next week’s episode is more of an upper.

On the brighter side, I can’t believe how good: a. Uli’s mom looks. Damn,girl. Uli should be psyched about how well she is going to age b. how much I liked Vincent’s dress. I was so sure he was going to lose this week.

Being forced to think outside of size 0, 5’11" supermodel box seemed a challenge to the designers, who were asked to make everyday clothes for their fellow contestants moms and sisters. Poor Robert was sent home for his lack of creativity. Though I really  like him, I have to agree with the decision. It did seem like he just cut a few holes in a sheet of fabric. Uli really worked with the "everyday" woman though and went for the pattern making her plus-size model look totally chic- one of my favorite looks.
Jeffery came close to getting the boot and the way he talked to Angela’s mom really had me hoping it was his turn to go. In the end I didn’t think his outfit was THAT bad, but the customer is always right.

This might just be my favorite PR episode EVER. I mean this challenge  is really a wake-up call like no other: These are the women of America. Dress them! And there’s was so much personal baggage floating around the room, it really showed everyone’s true colors. On that note: Well done Vincent! Even though he has seemed like psycho on past occasions, he was mature and professional and amazingly positive. Yes, he had the GORGEOUS Mrs. Uli Mom’s as a model, but he did a great job. I personally think Uli’s outfit for Kayne’s mom was just a little bit more interesting. It was so flattering and perfect for her coloring and size. It was perfect.

Jeffrey.. well, what can we say about Jeffrey. I want to like him, because he the rebel-underdog, but he’s such a whiney, spoiled brat, he makes it impossible. Angela is still a twit with bad taste. It will be fun to see their next showdown.

I was never a fan of Robert or his work. I found myself missing Alison throughout the episode. Wouldn’t you have loved to see her mom? Or Malan’s? Poor Malan. I still pine for him.

Jeffrey was so horrible to Angela’s mom and his mom said absolutely nothing to him about his behavior. Is it that she was afraid if she scolded him for the disgusting way that he treated her that he’d fall off the wagon or go back to being a junkie? I wanted to punch him in his tattooed neck!

At least the rest of the episode was heartwarming (A Very Special Project Runway…). How much did you love Uli’s mom? Despite their language barrier, her interaction with Vincent was adorable. And props to Vincent for actually creating a stylish dress that didn’t look like it came from the Twilight
Zone. I loved the outfit that Uli created for Kayne’s mom (how funny was she saying she was going to work it on the runway and embarrass Kayne??) and Michael, as usual, came up with a fierce design.

A final thought: Is anyone wondering how in the heck Laura manages to look as impeccably styled and svelte as she does with five kids and now another on the way? What’s up with that??

Change is good. Jeffrey is bad. How can anyone be so mean to someone else’s mother? Why doesn’t he just kick a few puppies and steal preschoolers’ lunch money while he’s at it? All I know is that if he ever pulled that crap on MY mom, the authorities would need that stupid neck tattoo to ID his cold, lifeless body.

So many thoughts, so little order:
1. Jeffrey should have gone home, and not because he made whiny Mama Angela cry. Yes, Robert was boring but his client was happy (wasn’t that the challenge?) and the outfit didn’t make you want to point and laugh, as Jeffrey’s did.

2. Loved Joan Kors, though when she spoke she reminded me of Kathleen Turner playing Chandler’s drag queen father on "Friends."

3. Why didn’t we get Heidi’s mater? Nina’s mami? Tim’s mom? Was so hoping for that.

4. Did anyone else rewind the lesbian kiss in the Orbitz.com commercial? We did. (Remember, I watch PR with my husband…) Way hotter than the bitchslap in the "Workout" finale promo.

5. Six children? That’s nothing for a woman who stands all day and most of the night sewing in heels while pregnant and poured into a form-fitting pencil shirt. Go Laura! Your clothes are a little dull, but we who went through pregnancy in nothing but yoga pants, tunics and backless sneakers salute you.

6.  Finally, YAY PINENUT! We’re so happy to see Weird Vincent win a challenge. Even my husband, who takes the words "wash and wear" and "one size fits all" at face falue, could see that Vincent was the clear winner.

p.s. since i was on vacation last week, a moment of silence for Zayra getting booted off Rockstar. The stage clothes are far, far less interesting without her.

Captain Cranky strikes again! Of course, I’m talking about Jeffrey. The way he treated Angela’s mom was absolutely inexcusable. And that weird patchwork dress was just another insult. When this season first started, I thought Travis Barker — er, Jeffrey– would be someone to root for, but nothing he’s designed has been that impressive. The more his fashions disappoint on the runway, the meaner and snottier he gets behind the scenes. Laura apparently learned from her near wardrobe malfunction from the last episode and kept her girls restrained in a turtleneck. Too bad she didn’t restrain her mouth — I can’t believe she let it fly that she’s pregnant! But the biggest surprise in this episode had to be Robert’s dismissal. Kayne must be crying into his pageant programs. Granted, I was worried it was coming if Robertdidn’t throw some Santino-like touches onto his designs, but for some reason the judges decided to keep Jeffrey’s dress (apparently made of funeral bunting) to get rid of Robert’s basic, if uninspired, outfit. Oh well. I wish he had ripped the fringe off of Angela’s goofy dress and used it to spice up his getup. After all, it just made her outfit look like a lampshade in a brothel, not something the every day woman would wear!

Jodi on

I think Angela and her mother are pathetic. There was clearly a lack of communication between Jeff and Angela’s mother, but for her to railroad him behind his back, and then act like a hurt child when she got called out on her actions is inexcusable. Shame on her and Angela. Jeff was right to defend himself. I wouldn’t have been so kind!!!

Madison Porter on

Jeffrey was extremely disrespectful towards Angela’s mother. yea there were miscommunications but jeffrey went freaked and went overboard. nobody was trying to embarass him like he said. i dont know but he needs to calm down and start learning his manners. he seriously has a problem.

debbie on

Jeffrey is so rude and his creations have to be the ugliest things I have ever seen. Saw Angela’s outfit in Macy’s the other day. DID NOT LIKE IT! Those little flower things she makes and sews on everything are hideous. Michael has to be the most versatile and he has good taste.

Leslie on

Even though I despised Angela after the episode in which she worked with Vincent, it truly broke my heart to see her mother cry. I think Angela’s mom was actually making an effort to be polite. That can’t be said for Jeffrey. On the contrary, Jeffrey was blatantly disrespectful. She is his client, and if he can’t create good relations with a client, then he doesn’t need to be in this competition. He’s like an angry teen who escaped from a detention center. I don’t think I have ever heard him say anything positive towards ANYONE. As for his clothes? They aren’t as creative as he is given credit for. You see the same crap in Hot Topic at the mall. Please, someone knock this jerk off his high horse!

Melissa ferme on

I thought it was such an unfair challenge. Some women were huge and I do not think designer who had them had any chance to win… and if you notice, the designer who were at the bottom had, for a majority, the big mama. To me it would have been better to give them all bigger models and see what they would be able to design.

Cassandra A. on

Okay everyone knows by now that Jeffery is a weasle and should have been sent packing. That was the worst shapeless piece of cloth ever made, and I should know I took sewing in Home Economics in junior high, and what we made back then was better than that. What I can’t get over is how young Michael Kors mother looked, I thought she was his sister. Too bad he didn’t get those good anti-aging genes, just the good fashion sense.

I love Michael. He seems very grounded and down to earth. As far as the fight….that is a pretty petulent, fussy group of people, Jeffrey is just a little more so. I would have loved to have seen what Keith would have done with it!!

mary on

I think that Angela is to blame for what happened with Jeffrey and her mom. Egging her mom on was just wrong. Her mother was just too sensitive and passive/aggressive for me and Jeffrey was a jerk. Why did his mother lecture Angela’s mother but not Jeffery? I thought Uli rocked this week and should have won. She was creative and flattering for the plus size woman. Whoppee…Vincent was nice to someone and made a flattering plain dress for a smaller person. Michael and Uli are the ones to beat as far as I am concerned. Kayne makes alot of clothes that show up wrinkled on the runway…including Miss USA’s dress she wore at Miss Universe. I kept wanting to have her pull it down where it was bunching…but I do like Kayne and his designs except the garbage insanity moment last week.

rhonda on

I just found these comments and i’ve LOVED reading all of them! You have said it all. Angela’s mom was simply trying to be polite and trust me, anyone more aggressive would have given Jeffrey an honest opinion in a MORE voacal way. I’m happy that Jeffrey has recovered so well from his addictions but he needs to work on his emotional and social skills. I’m not always thrilled with Vincent’s designs, though I loved his dress for Uli’s mom, but his real caring sweetness showed itself when he told Jeffrey he needed to make it right. I can’t believe the other designers did not give Jeffrey some kind of grief and remind him that he would not want his own mom treated and talked to so rudely. I thought Robert’s design might have been “boring” but it was a real design that his model may have bought. I cannot say the same for Jeffrey’s unflattering design. What does it matter if something has a “point of view” but it is ugly and unwearable?
I loved the comment above that said this challenge should be a wake-up call to designers. I was shocked and disappointed that these talented designers have never even considered designing for the real woman even though many of them appear to have shared homes with REAL sized women.

Rob on

Jeffrey seems to think he’s God’s gift to fashion (how did we ever get along without him?!) And he never puts forth any effort to be decent with anyone on the show, he’s very back biting. And all I can say is if he’d been that rude to my mother, I would have wrote another letter on his thick gross tattoo’d neck! Angela’s mother did nothing wrong. Jeff just seems to have this big chip on his pathitic little shoulders and he made what should have been a very pleasant event for all out to be an akward and upsetting one. I mean who cares if you’re a recovered alcoholic and drug addict if your still a mean person! And he should have been voted off for that horrible HORRIBLE dress as well as for his conduct. The winner Vincent? personally I dont like the guy or his designs…he’s weird. Michael Korrs should have slapped him around a bit last week for getting mouthy with him for the recycled challenge when he said “I get off on it.” Frankly I thought Uli should have won this week for that beautiful and flattering butterfly top.

Next | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Show All