08/24/2006 at 10:40 AM ET

Last night’s episode six of Project Runway gave the designers a very personal challenge: to create a fashion-forward look for the everyday woman– with their mothers and sisters as the models! The twist was that no one could select their own family member to design for, and some of the designers ended up with their not-so favorite contestant’s mom. The sparks flew between Jeffrey and Angela‘s mother, and tears were shed by many. Michael and Uli once again shone, but Vincent ended up being the surprise winner. Angela and Jeffrey barely stayed in, while Robert was voted out for being continually boring. Click through to the next page to read more and leave a comment.

Photo: Courtesy of Bravo

I almost had to get a box of kleenex to watch this episode! Everyone was bawling every 2 seconds. There were so many shockers on this one- it was like watching a soap opera! Laura is pregnant with her 6th child and broke it to her mother in front of Michael Kors and his mother Joan! Jeffrey was so sweet to his mother, who clearly adores him, and was so unbelievably nasty for poor Angela’s mom. I am sad to see Robert go, as apparently was the rest of the cast (more tears), but I have to say, I would have been flummoxed if I had gotten the largest woman in the group too. Waaaaaah. I hope next week’s episode is more of an upper.

On the brighter side, I can’t believe how good: a. Uli’s mom looks. Damn,girl. Uli should be psyched about how well she is going to age b. how much I liked Vincent’s dress. I was so sure he was going to lose this week.

Being forced to think outside of size 0, 5’11" supermodel box seemed a challenge to the designers, who were asked to make everyday clothes for their fellow contestants moms and sisters. Poor Robert was sent home for his lack of creativity. Though I really  like him, I have to agree with the decision. It did seem like he just cut a few holes in a sheet of fabric. Uli really worked with the "everyday" woman though and went for the pattern making her plus-size model look totally chic- one of my favorite looks.
Jeffery came close to getting the boot and the way he talked to Angela’s mom really had me hoping it was his turn to go. In the end I didn’t think his outfit was THAT bad, but the customer is always right.

This might just be my favorite PR episode EVER. I mean this challenge  is really a wake-up call like no other: These are the women of America. Dress them! And there’s was so much personal baggage floating around the room, it really showed everyone’s true colors. On that note: Well done Vincent! Even though he has seemed like psycho on past occasions, he was mature and professional and amazingly positive. Yes, he had the GORGEOUS Mrs. Uli Mom’s as a model, but he did a great job. I personally think Uli’s outfit for Kayne’s mom was just a little bit more interesting. It was so flattering and perfect for her coloring and size. It was perfect.

Jeffrey.. well, what can we say about Jeffrey. I want to like him, because he the rebel-underdog, but he’s such a whiney, spoiled brat, he makes it impossible. Angela is still a twit with bad taste. It will be fun to see their next showdown.

I was never a fan of Robert or his work. I found myself missing Alison throughout the episode. Wouldn’t you have loved to see her mom? Or Malan’s? Poor Malan. I still pine for him.

Jeffrey was so horrible to Angela’s mom and his mom said absolutely nothing to him about his behavior. Is it that she was afraid if she scolded him for the disgusting way that he treated her that he’d fall off the wagon or go back to being a junkie? I wanted to punch him in his tattooed neck!

At least the rest of the episode was heartwarming (A Very Special Project Runway…). How much did you love Uli’s mom? Despite their language barrier, her interaction with Vincent was adorable. And props to Vincent for actually creating a stylish dress that didn’t look like it came from the Twilight
Zone. I loved the outfit that Uli created for Kayne’s mom (how funny was she saying she was going to work it on the runway and embarrass Kayne??) and Michael, as usual, came up with a fierce design.

A final thought: Is anyone wondering how in the heck Laura manages to look as impeccably styled and svelte as she does with five kids and now another on the way? What’s up with that??

Change is good. Jeffrey is bad. How can anyone be so mean to someone else’s mother? Why doesn’t he just kick a few puppies and steal preschoolers’ lunch money while he’s at it? All I know is that if he ever pulled that crap on MY mom, the authorities would need that stupid neck tattoo to ID his cold, lifeless body.

So many thoughts, so little order:
1. Jeffrey should have gone home, and not because he made whiny Mama Angela cry. Yes, Robert was boring but his client was happy (wasn’t that the challenge?) and the outfit didn’t make you want to point and laugh, as Jeffrey’s did.

2. Loved Joan Kors, though when she spoke she reminded me of Kathleen Turner playing Chandler’s drag queen father on "Friends."

3. Why didn’t we get Heidi’s mater? Nina’s mami? Tim’s mom? Was so hoping for that.

4. Did anyone else rewind the lesbian kiss in the Orbitz.com commercial? We did. (Remember, I watch PR with my husband…) Way hotter than the bitchslap in the "Workout" finale promo.

5. Six children? That’s nothing for a woman who stands all day and most of the night sewing in heels while pregnant and poured into a form-fitting pencil shirt. Go Laura! Your clothes are a little dull, but we who went through pregnancy in nothing but yoga pants, tunics and backless sneakers salute you.

6.  Finally, YAY PINENUT! We’re so happy to see Weird Vincent win a challenge. Even my husband, who takes the words "wash and wear" and "one size fits all" at face falue, could see that Vincent was the clear winner.

p.s. since i was on vacation last week, a moment of silence for Zayra getting booted off Rockstar. The stage clothes are far, far less interesting without her.

Captain Cranky strikes again! Of course, I’m talking about Jeffrey. The way he treated Angela’s mom was absolutely inexcusable. And that weird patchwork dress was just another insult. When this season first started, I thought Travis Barker — er, Jeffrey– would be someone to root for, but nothing he’s designed has been that impressive. The more his fashions disappoint on the runway, the meaner and snottier he gets behind the scenes. Laura apparently learned from her near wardrobe malfunction from the last episode and kept her girls restrained in a turtleneck. Too bad she didn’t restrain her mouth — I can’t believe she let it fly that she’s pregnant! But the biggest surprise in this episode had to be Robert’s dismissal. Kayne must be crying into his pageant programs. Granted, I was worried it was coming if Robertdidn’t throw some Santino-like touches onto his designs, but for some reason the judges decided to keep Jeffrey’s dress (apparently made of funeral bunting) to get rid of Robert’s basic, if uninspired, outfit. Oh well. I wish he had ripped the fringe off of Angela’s goofy dress and used it to spice up his getup. After all, it just made her outfit look like a lampshade in a brothel, not something the every day woman would wear!

michael on

I think tim set up jeffrey with this one, knowing that angela and jeffrey don’t get along with one another, and have to fit angela’s mother with a suitable garment. I think jeffrey was absolutely right about his garment. Even though his garment wasn’t what you expected to be, you have to admit that angela’s mother wasn’t being more cooperative with his decision on her garment. You would think that your mother would be more supportive of your work, and not whiny. Robert had vincent’s sister and pretty much did what she asked for in her colors, which robert wasn’t to fond of in the first place, and he lost, which was a mistake. I think angela should have been “YOUR OUT”. Her comments about jeffrey were derogatory and a cheap shot at jeffrey . Also my mother thought the crying with angela’s mother was well acted out, and will burn more fuel with angela and jeffrey through-out the show.
If you watch other programs such as (blow out-what not to wear-miami ink,etc..) your pretty much at the discretion of the host. The host doesn’t want to see anybody leaving their program not looking their best.
That’s why putting your faith into someone you don’t know might turn out better than you thought, so give it a chance (angela’s mother should have gave jeffrey a chance before judging him).

pree on

I think Michael comes up with creative designs and changes the styles each week. Uli, although great, uses the same patterns, material, and floral pattern in her designs each week. I think you have to give Michael the upper edge just in his creativity and his insight for each piece of clothing.

Annie on

as much as i also thought that jeffrey was rude to angela’s mom, it also really bugged me that she was such a manipulative victim. she waited until tim came in to say that she didn’t like the colors and it was pretty obvious through angela’s coaching in the fitting area that she and her daughter were making a joint effort to get jeffrey booted. i don’t like people who play games and play innocent so i must admit that angela and her mom tend to bug me. that said, jeffrey should have taken the high road this time and match his attitude to his talents. he won’t get far if he punishes his clients for their opinions. i’m glad he wasn’t voted off, he’s one of the most talented of the bunch.

Evy on

I think that Angela’s mom should have the same class as Laura’s mom. Laura’s mom did not like the outfit but she kept her opinion to herself rather than bad mouthing and sabotaging her daughter’s competition. Angela’s mom said that she felt bad that she was limiting his designs then she turned around told Tim that the dress was awful. I thought that it was a straight up sabotage.

jessie on

I thought Mr. Jeffery was waaaaaaaaay out of line, he was very disrespectful and I think he should have gotten booted for his nasty attitude.

Chelle on

Okay let me start off by saying that I think that the judges made the correct decision to send Robert home…week after week his designs were boring, blah, there was nothing to them…now that said I also think that Jeffery did a terrible job this week…however, i do think that what he said at the end of the show was correct…he was trying to listen to what Angela’s mom said (which by the way was very miss communicated) at the same time he was trying to create a design of his own…he is a GREAT designer…no i don’t always agree with how he handles himself, but he is in fact a great designer…which is what this show is about…i think that last night he was stressed, like all the other designers, but handled his stress in a different way…although i think Jeffrey was EXTREMELY rude in the way he talked to Angela’s mom…i do think that what he said to her was correct…she did not need to go behind his back and talk to Tim…she should have said something to Jeffery first…and what was up with her crying?!…I also think that Angela “coaching” her mom was completely wrong…but all in all i think that the designs from last night we for the most part pretty basic…i would like to see all the designers step it up a notch!

Danette Roark on

Every year there is one designer who should be booted off, but they keep him and let someone more deserving go! I waited for Santino to go last year, and this year I feel the same way about Jeffrey. He is a jerk, and isn’t talented enough to get the free pass he got last night.
Also, was it really such a challenge to design for a plus size woman? Most of the designers were completely dumbstruck, please, welcome to the real world! This episode was boring, unfair, and an insult to all women over size 2!

Sober Chick on

Jeffrey is a very talented designer. He is wonderfully passionate. Yes he is clean and sober today but sadly he still displays the behavior of a sick alcoholic/addict. Angela’s mom hit it right on, she recognized so much “Anger” in his voice. Ego consumes his character and he seems to build resentment towards many (not just Angela’s mom). This is not good for someone of his make-up. I hope that he will be able to humble himself and put Ego on the back burner.

Ann on

First of all, I think that last night’s episode was very interesting and dramatic. I just love how each episode is full of surprises!!
I totally sided with Jeffrey over Angela’s mom. She was just plain annoying. Jeffrey is the designer whose future is at stake while Angela’s mom is just a model for a day. Also, you have to feel bad for Jeffrey who got to pick last. Maybe there was a reason why Angela’s mom was the last model standing.
I thought Uli’s mom was totally gorgeous! I also thought it was cute how she and Vincent communicated, even though they speak different languages!!
Robert’s sister was gorgeous. Too bad he got sent home. I was hoping that Angela would get booted off.
And Kayne: what a transformation!! It’s so great to see people turn their lives around and come out of the bad and embarrassing past.
I still can’t believe that Laura is a pregger!! She looks great for a mother of nearly six. I do feel bad that she didn’t tell her husband!!
Lastly, I hoped that either Uli or Michael would win the challenge. I’m happy for Vincent, but I honestly thought their outits were better.

Karen on

Jeffrey is a punk! No one should treat anyone’s mother as rudely as he did and he made a horrific dress. Excellent work Michael and Uli. Vincent . . . okay, he pulled one off (thank goodness for normalcy). I love this show!

Next | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Show All