08/24/2006 at 10:40 AM ET

Last night’s episode six of Project Runway gave the designers a very personal challenge: to create a fashion-forward look for the everyday woman– with their mothers and sisters as the models! The twist was that no one could select their own family member to design for, and some of the designers ended up with their not-so favorite contestant’s mom. The sparks flew between Jeffrey and Angela‘s mother, and tears were shed by many. Michael and Uli once again shone, but Vincent ended up being the surprise winner. Angela and Jeffrey barely stayed in, while Robert was voted out for being continually boring. Click through to the next page to read more and leave a comment.

Photo: Courtesy of Bravo

I almost had to get a box of kleenex to watch this episode! Everyone was bawling every 2 seconds. There were so many shockers on this one- it was like watching a soap opera! Laura is pregnant with her 6th child and broke it to her mother in front of Michael Kors and his mother Joan! Jeffrey was so sweet to his mother, who clearly adores him, and was so unbelievably nasty for poor Angela’s mom. I am sad to see Robert go, as apparently was the rest of the cast (more tears), but I have to say, I would have been flummoxed if I had gotten the largest woman in the group too. Waaaaaah. I hope next week’s episode is more of an upper.

On the brighter side, I can’t believe how good: a. Uli’s mom looks. Damn,girl. Uli should be psyched about how well she is going to age b. how much I liked Vincent’s dress. I was so sure he was going to lose this week.

Being forced to think outside of size 0, 5’11" supermodel box seemed a challenge to the designers, who were asked to make everyday clothes for their fellow contestants moms and sisters. Poor Robert was sent home for his lack of creativity. Though I really  like him, I have to agree with the decision. It did seem like he just cut a few holes in a sheet of fabric. Uli really worked with the "everyday" woman though and went for the pattern making her plus-size model look totally chic- one of my favorite looks.
Jeffery came close to getting the boot and the way he talked to Angela’s mom really had me hoping it was his turn to go. In the end I didn’t think his outfit was THAT bad, but the customer is always right.

This might just be my favorite PR episode EVER. I mean this challenge  is really a wake-up call like no other: These are the women of America. Dress them! And there’s was so much personal baggage floating around the room, it really showed everyone’s true colors. On that note: Well done Vincent! Even though he has seemed like psycho on past occasions, he was mature and professional and amazingly positive. Yes, he had the GORGEOUS Mrs. Uli Mom’s as a model, but he did a great job. I personally think Uli’s outfit for Kayne’s mom was just a little bit more interesting. It was so flattering and perfect for her coloring and size. It was perfect.

Jeffrey.. well, what can we say about Jeffrey. I want to like him, because he the rebel-underdog, but he’s such a whiney, spoiled brat, he makes it impossible. Angela is still a twit with bad taste. It will be fun to see their next showdown.

I was never a fan of Robert or his work. I found myself missing Alison throughout the episode. Wouldn’t you have loved to see her mom? Or Malan’s? Poor Malan. I still pine for him.

Jeffrey was so horrible to Angela’s mom and his mom said absolutely nothing to him about his behavior. Is it that she was afraid if she scolded him for the disgusting way that he treated her that he’d fall off the wagon or go back to being a junkie? I wanted to punch him in his tattooed neck!

At least the rest of the episode was heartwarming (A Very Special Project Runway…). How much did you love Uli’s mom? Despite their language barrier, her interaction with Vincent was adorable. And props to Vincent for actually creating a stylish dress that didn’t look like it came from the Twilight
Zone. I loved the outfit that Uli created for Kayne’s mom (how funny was she saying she was going to work it on the runway and embarrass Kayne??) and Michael, as usual, came up with a fierce design.

A final thought: Is anyone wondering how in the heck Laura manages to look as impeccably styled and svelte as she does with five kids and now another on the way? What’s up with that??

Change is good. Jeffrey is bad. How can anyone be so mean to someone else’s mother? Why doesn’t he just kick a few puppies and steal preschoolers’ lunch money while he’s at it? All I know is that if he ever pulled that crap on MY mom, the authorities would need that stupid neck tattoo to ID his cold, lifeless body.

So many thoughts, so little order:
1. Jeffrey should have gone home, and not because he made whiny Mama Angela cry. Yes, Robert was boring but his client was happy (wasn’t that the challenge?) and the outfit didn’t make you want to point and laugh, as Jeffrey’s did.

2. Loved Joan Kors, though when she spoke she reminded me of Kathleen Turner playing Chandler’s drag queen father on "Friends."

3. Why didn’t we get Heidi’s mater? Nina’s mami? Tim’s mom? Was so hoping for that.

4. Did anyone else rewind the lesbian kiss in the Orbitz.com commercial? We did. (Remember, I watch PR with my husband…) Way hotter than the bitchslap in the "Workout" finale promo.

5. Six children? That’s nothing for a woman who stands all day and most of the night sewing in heels while pregnant and poured into a form-fitting pencil shirt. Go Laura! Your clothes are a little dull, but we who went through pregnancy in nothing but yoga pants, tunics and backless sneakers salute you.

6.  Finally, YAY PINENUT! We’re so happy to see Weird Vincent win a challenge. Even my husband, who takes the words "wash and wear" and "one size fits all" at face falue, could see that Vincent was the clear winner.

p.s. since i was on vacation last week, a moment of silence for Zayra getting booted off Rockstar. The stage clothes are far, far less interesting without her.

Captain Cranky strikes again! Of course, I’m talking about Jeffrey. The way he treated Angela’s mom was absolutely inexcusable. And that weird patchwork dress was just another insult. When this season first started, I thought Travis Barker — er, Jeffrey– would be someone to root for, but nothing he’s designed has been that impressive. The more his fashions disappoint on the runway, the meaner and snottier he gets behind the scenes. Laura apparently learned from her near wardrobe malfunction from the last episode and kept her girls restrained in a turtleneck. Too bad she didn’t restrain her mouth — I can’t believe she let it fly that she’s pregnant! But the biggest surprise in this episode had to be Robert’s dismissal. Kayne must be crying into his pageant programs. Granted, I was worried it was coming if Robertdidn’t throw some Santino-like touches onto his designs, but for some reason the judges decided to keep Jeffrey’s dress (apparently made of funeral bunting) to get rid of Robert’s basic, if uninspired, outfit. Oh well. I wish he had ripped the fringe off of Angela’s goofy dress and used it to spice up his getup. After all, it just made her outfit look like a lampshade in a brothel, not something the every day woman would wear!

Kelly on

I really enjoyed this episode, but it was sort of sad how perplexed these designers were for women who, some of them not even plus sized, were normal sized people. I was hoping to see all of them do a little bit better.
I really enjoyed Uli’s and Vincent’s (surprise!).
I think that Robert had been pushing his boring limit far too much already and he had been given 2 or 3 chances to change his look and he didn’t.
Jeffrey was blunt, honest and to the point. However, he crossed the line into being very rude and insensitive. I agree with him that Angela’s mom should have spoken to him, not get Tim on her side first and then have Angela play the “Mommy” to her. It’s pretty clear why Angela is a cry baby. However, like I said, the rudeness and snotty attitude of Jeffery is unacceptable and I’ve about had enough with his shenanigans.
I loved Uli’s mom and Vincent this episode, because he calmed himself down and was very patient with the language barrier. So, props to Vincent (This will probably the only time I will be caught saying that…)

Ladan on

I have to say that I love Jeffrey as a designer and person, and last nights episode did not change this feeling one bit. No I am not some crazy male womanizer or anything, but on the contrary a 22yr old woman who is very caring and respectful of other people (especially my family). And no I’m not stupid either, I am a recent college grad on my way to veterinary school in the fall so I know the importance of being caring and respectful, along with pleasing your client. He might not have said things to Angela’s mother in the nicest terms, but she wasn’t being much of a help either. She didn’t give him many options for what she liked wearing and he was right, the colors she suggested (deep purple and deep green) don’t look nice together. When she was worried about the choice of periwinkle she should have brought this concern up to him first (ex. ask how much of that fabric is going to be used since only a little was used as an accent), rather than immediately telling Tim Gunn that it wasn’t what she wanted; she should have gone to the source. Besides, I don’t think it is really anyone’s place to critique the actions of any of the designers on the show since we are not in that position and do not know how we would react. Everyone reacts to stress differently, we don’t know what is happening in people’s private lives behind the scenes, and I don’t care what people say, if you were in that position you don’t know if you would behave in the nicest manner possible (at all times) either.

Brenda on

OK, so Vincent won because he had the best design. I can accept that. But Jeffrey should have lost, not Robert, because his dress was absolutely the worst — not to mention his incredibly rude and unprofessional behavior. As for using the mothers and sisters as models, THAT was totally cool. You got a chance to know each designer on a more personal level and become even more invested. Personally, I think Michael, Kayne, and Uli should be the final three — and Jeffrey and Angela need to go, but in that order. All in all, the show just gets more and more exciting — and having Michael Kors mother as a judge was a true stroke of genius!

Krissy on

I thought Jeffery was so rude and out of line. I do not care for him one bit. I think anyone that has that much lack of respect for adults (none the less someone’s mother) and talks to them in that matter is very unprofessional. How would we have felt if one of the other designers made him mom cry?! I just thought he was very out of line and this is not the first time he has ever been rude. He preys on the other designers and we never see him say anything nice. Mind you, I have no idea how much editing goes on (he might have been chosen to portray the “villian” type person) but I think that like Vincent said “his true colors shine through” and I think that is a test of his character. I think he should have gone home! His creation was truely embarassing to that woman!

sandy on

I think Jeffrey could have been kinder to his elder….his problem I think is more with Angela than with her mother….he needs to go HOME!!!!! he has no talent and is arrogant and not entertaining

gio on

Jeffrey was rude and obnoxious. I hope that his mother really did call him to task about his horrible behavior and they just didn’t show that part. I don’t care how old my son gets, if he’s nasty and rude, I’m going to tell him. I may not do it in front of others (especially on national television) but I would definitely let him have it. I don’t care how whiny Angela’s mother is (and she really was, but not everyone can be assertive) jeffrey was still totally disrespectful. Would he do that with a high paying celebrity customer? Of course not! And if he did, he’s be out on his ear, lickity split and it would serve him right! He was disrespectful to her because he knew he could be. Although I thought that Roberts, again, was totally boring, at least it was not totally UGLY as was Jeffrey’s. It was disgusting, and I believe that he did it on purpose. I agree that both Jeffrey and Angela need to hit the door next. Although he won, and rightfully so this time, Vincent will be a close 3rd behind Jeffrey and Angela.

Sheila on

I am not only disappointed on who went home, but by the actions of one of the mothers.
Yes, Robert’s dress was boring, but that is what his client wanted. We all have different tastes and not everyone wants to dress in the unique way that Heidi K. does.
Let’s face it Jeffery’s dress would have been on a 90% off rack in any store.

How Jeffery’s mother did not walk over and smack him upside his empty head is beyond me? To make excuses for rudeness is never O.K. Even my ten year old son understood that while watching the show. Obviously this was acceptable behavior while he was growing up (if he has grown up that is).

Meraji on

Jeffery’s behavior was unacceptable. Angela’s mother was his client, and anyone who has worked in even basic retail knows that even with your most difficult clients, you have to maintian your professionalism. He not only failed MISERABLY at this, he made the whole thing very personal with the “insecurities” comment. He had met this woman, what, two times and he’s commenting on her insecurities? Are you kidding me? That would be unacceptable in any situation, and especially in one where he is the employee. His mother should be ashamed of his bad manners. And, Angela should have stood up a bit more assertively for her mom. If somebody made my mama cry, i’d let them have it!
And, also, this was a very uneven and unfair comptetition. The designers that had slimmer models had an easier task for them because that’s what they’re used to desiging for. And, yes, it was sad that so many of the designers were lost with the heavier models. I mean with all the makeover shows, and stores for heavier models (Lane Bryant, the Liz Claiborne store–i forget its name), any fool who lives in America could have done a better job than most of the designers.
Finally, Uli should have won. Robert’s was boring as hell but if i was a plus size, i’d rather wear that than wear Jeffery’s ugly tent and vest ensemble. Vests? Are you kidding me???

Rita on

OMG! I can’t believe Angela allowed Jeffrey to be soo rude to her Mom! That was not right he’s just jealous because Angela has won a challenge and he hasnt even won one. Believe me i am not an Angela fan but Jeffrey should use his energy on making better outfits instead of fighting with the Kesslar’s, loser! I looove Laura so much isnt she awesome? I cant believe and I am so happy she is pregnant she looks awesome! I was still really sad to not see Allison and it was Robert’s time to go.. Although I would’ve switched him with Jeffrey for being such a jerk.

Jennie on

I really loved Uli’s ensemble. She is a great designer and I hope to see her name in the fashion industry very soon.
I was greatly disappointed by Jeffrey’s behaviour towards
Angela’s mom. It seems like he went through a lot in his life and it clearly shows through his behaviour. He has not only showed disrespect towards Angela’s mom but he also slapped his own mom in the process. If Jeffrey was my son, I would’ve probably kicked his ass on TV. He is not a good designer and he should’ve been OUT last night. Robert’s ensemble may have been boring but still far better than Jeffrey’s mega ugly whatever it is.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Show All